Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 260 joyous miles on my new 570. Everything is running great. Awesome machine! But I want to make sure everything is cool and not causing hidden damage. This is my first ATV. I am not a mechanic, but willing to buy tools.

I do not like my original dealer. The dealership is also a long drive away. I asked a local place and they wanted hundreds of dollars.

So do you think I could do this on my own? Is there really anything that needs to be done over changing oil? I have looked at the maintenance book that came with the machine. But I feel like there are missing pieces that get checked over during the first tuneup.

I also erroneously assumed that this first tuneup was included with the purchase.

SwampDonkey, I see you live a few minutes down the road. Can you recommend a place to service my ATV? I would like to establish a long term relationship (eww) with my mechanic and keep going back for things (for example I want a winch).

·
Registered
668 Posts
You should do as much of your own work as you can. Or find a friend that will show you how. Oil and filter is easy. Order factory stuff over the internet from a good dealer like Sander Sporting in OK. Get a grease gun and spare canisters of grease. Check the a-arm bolts, sometimes they loosen. Very easy to do. Can't hurt to have a spare plug and air filters on hand as well. Save your receipts and record when you did the maintenence. The money you spend on your own tools will be far less than service bills. There is a video on youtube for almost every repair or maintenence. You will be suprised how easy a winch is if you have basic hand tools. Take your time and you will know it was done right. No one is going to care how your machine comes out as much as you. I found over the years that "repair shops" did a lousy job fixing something on my cars or atvs. Hardly ever go to a repair shop for anything anymore.

Where in VT are you from? My father is from way up north, Montgomery Center VT. Do you know if VT and NH are honoring the others atv registrations? I have a relative that has a place in Morgan VT. It is only 27 miles from N. Stratford. Going to stay there with my machines this summer. Hit the closer NH trails. I thought about hitting VT trails too, but I am not registering in 3 states. We ride Pisgah and Monadnock NH a lot. Is that far from you?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I would say the supplies to do it are about $70 (that is Pure Polaris pricing) all I do is hit the grease zerks (about 3-4 times a summer), then change the oil, air filter (I have a cleanable one so that just gets cleaned), and change the Diff fluids once a year. My dealer charges about $220 plus parts but then they also change the plugs and inspect more things. I will say I was nervous the first time doing my own maintenance, but it is really easy and I am sure the 570 is not much different. OH, one more thing I have been doing is going through and hitting all the electrical connections with Dielectric grease, this is good to do a couple times a year too, especially if you hit some deeper water holes...

EDIT: Don't forget to check the brake pads too!! Also make sure your radiator is clean and never spray it at an angle as that can damage the fins and make sure your fan spins freely...

·
Registered
483 Posts
My first service will cost me about $275. But they do a lot, inspect a lot, and for my warranty, I am willing to pay them for the first service to make sure everything is good. You never know, there could be an issue or a loose bolt or fitting from the factory...

After that, I will do my own oil and fluid changes, greasing, etc... and save the major stuff like valves for the dealer...

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Basic metric and standard hand tools is all you need for maintenance. I never take my machine to have the stealer look at it. For what he does I can do for a $20.00 bill. At 20 hours change your oil and filter and give everything else a good going over. Valves do not need to be adjusted and brakes should be OK. Check all A Arms and anything else you can. Take the tires off if you need to gain better access to everything. Nothing really special about the value line models. I have a value line 06 X2 and it has never seen a dealer and it has 10034 miles on it. A little TLC in your own garage goes a long way.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
i recommend road side in williston, what town do you live in? we just picked up a 570 from cve in middlebury.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in Monkton. CVE came back with a quote after I had already made purchase. I felt bad for them, the polaris find dealer/quote thing held onto my req for days.

I do not know about reciprocity with NH. A NH ATV club person told me last year was the last for reciprocity. I have tried buying my VAST pass for this year, but they "may" (different answers from different people) not be available until March.

I will check out Roadside in Williston. Its only about 20 minutes north for me.

I would also love to hear about trail recommendations, SwampDonkey. I am new to the area and ATV-ing in general. My wife and I share a touring and have yet to meet another couple to ride with.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If the dealer does it, plan on it costing $400. You could do it for $100 or less with a lot of aggravation if you are not inclined for the work.

Shouldn't maintenance have been done prior to 260 miles?

·
Registered
113 Posts
i payed 175 for first service at roadside, for my 850.
With parts included? If so, that's not bad for just a service. However, a "service" is different than a "tune-up". I was talking about a full tune-up, not just oil/filter/grease. I'm not actually clear what the OP is wanting...

·
Registered
619 Posts
some of the numbers above are a little out of wack in my opinion. My first service cost $140 +tax at the dealership. Not all that bad. They change every fluid in the machine (engine oil, trans, front dif), change the air filter, spark plug, grease the fittings, etc. I think that's it. Not that any of that is rocket science, but considering the Polaris fluids and filters would probably run you $70+ as stated about, its not all that bad of a deal at the dealership. The manual says its important to change out all of the fluids the first time around, so I would be sure to do exactly that. Moving forward from that point, sure change the oil every 50hrs or so, grease, and that's it for a while. I wouldn't skimp out on the first service.

·
Registered
113 Posts
some of the numbers above are a little out of wack in my opinion. My first service cost $140 +tax at the dealership. Not all that bad. They change every fluid in the machine (engine oil, trans, front dif), change the air filter, spark plug, grease the fittings, etc. I think that's it. Not that any of that is rocket science, but considering the Polaris fluids and filters would probably run you $70+ as stated about, its not all that bad of a deal at the dealership. The manual says its important to change out all of the fluids the first time around, so I would be sure to do exactly that. Moving forward from that point, sure change the oil every 50hrs or so, grease, and that's it for a while. I wouldn't skimp out on the first service.
That is a CRAZY low price for that service. Is that a special offer for a "first service" when buying new from them? The parts alone would be close to $100.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
i didnt buy mine new from where i recommended, they did the same as described above for 175. second service had it in for warranty. complete fluid change, both diffs, trans and motor ran 150 with labor.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Not that I know of, that's what they told me they charge for the 1st service. got it done. Paid about $150 out the door. It is a good price though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Wow, those are great prices. I wouldn't have to think at all about messing with my own service for that. You guys are lucky.

I guess rates out here in the Midwest are a lot worse. Like Lollygagger and Squire, around here it would be $200-300 not including parts.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
[QUOTE

Shouldn't maintenance have been done prior to 260 miles?[/QUOTE]

It really depends on hours not miles.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I was told to do my first service at 25 miles on my 570
You either heard wrong or was told wrong. First service is 20 hours. If you drove 25 miles an hour it would only take an hour to put on 25 miles and service at 1 hour doesn't even begin to make sense. Some guys opt for 10 hours because they are worried about manufacturing debris in the fluids which isn't a bad idea.

I do service every 50 hours after that but will grease chassis every time I get a chance and the front gear case every 25 hours if riding hard and lots of mud. Front gear case is the most vulnerable part IMHO as that's where all your AWD magic takes place. 50 hours if just easy riding with not much water or mud.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts