Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like whenever I am in water deeper than my floor boards my quad has a tendency to water wheelie. I don't really like this as I am trying to steer and avoid submerged tree stumps and various other obstacles. I have tried moving my weight forward but the rear begins to raise and I end up getting stuck. Also I have tried slowing down my wheel speed but also end up getting stuck. I have stock 486s all the way around with about 30 miles on them.

I am looking to upgrade my front tires but want to avoid the water wheelies. Will a taller tire help keep the front end down?

Thanks,
Chas

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I'm no expert on deep water wheelies, but my guess would be that a taller/larger tire would have more air and or volume to it which would intern have a greater buoyancy. No idea tho just a guess.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I'm no AWD expert but I think putting larger diameter tire on the front will adversely affect it

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
94 Posts
It's an easy fix... just put a seat on the front and tell the old lady it's "so you can see better" :D :D

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
^ :rotflmao:

·
Registered
619 Posts
This is just a guess, but would having too much air in the tires cause them to be more buoyant?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the idea of the old lady up front! haha My thought with the larger tires is that they weigh so much more it would counter act the buoyancy. Maybe I'll some of that new tire ballast they are putting in tractor tires.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Its the opposite... It will lift more with bigger tires. More air volume= more buoyancy.

If you don't want the front comig up, lay off the right thimb a bit.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
It's hard to hold a balloon (inflated tire) under water..... even harder yet to hold a larger balloon under water. To help, I'd run a lower air preasure in the tires..... or get better tires (mud) to allow you to go slower, keep the front end down and not get stuck. All the tires need to be the same diameter, like the stock.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist.....

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Adding a lift has also moved your center of gravity up making it easier to get the front up. Things with high COG are more "tippy". Granted 2" isn't much in total, it's still almost 20% higher.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Been in water up to my knees and mine did not water wheelie...doubting water to the floor boards will lift 400 lbs...

Sean

·
Registered
572 Posts
Adding a lift has also moved your center of gravity up making it easier to get the front up. Things with high COG are more "tippy". Granted 2" isn't much in total, it's still almost 20% higher.
They are not wanting to wheelie.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
They are not wanting to wheelie.
Exactly. So I'm saying remove the lift and lower the COG back to normal.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Running a heavier tire will help this. I run outlaws which are about 50lbs a piece. I have to try if I want to water wheelie. I used to have swamplites and they floated bad. You need to put some water in them to keep them from floating. If you run in cold weather, make sure you remove the water or run antifreeze in them. Other suggestion is to add weight to the front.

·
Registered
333 Posts
A larger heavy duty tire will def help keep you planted in the water. I run 30" silverbacks and I have to make her work to pop the front end up in deep water. If I wade in calmly the atv will sit planted no problem. Get a heavy duty tire.
Or like guys are saying add weight to your quad but do it evenly front and back. Carry a jerry can or two.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I wouldn't add water to the tires because of freezing. Had a small lawn tractor that I used for snow removal in the winter. Removed the wheels, broke the bead on one side, and filled them with windshield washer fluid, then topped them up with air. That gave me a lot more traction. It was in the tires for about ten years and never gave a problem or froze and we have minus zero temperatures up here. For an ATV I would only put enough in to give you the weight you require and would make it equal in all tires.

·
Registered
434 Posts
if using windshield washer fluid make sure its the winter(blue) stuff not the pink(summer) stuff.....just saying, i havent tried adding anything in my tires. i havent had a problem with floating and i have 27" (bigger then stock) zillas(one of the lightest atv tires available) and ive cross creeks up to my lights, still barely moving the front end

1 - 20 of 20 Posts