Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Purchased a ngk iridium for my sportsman and was wondering how to get the plug out, it doesn't look too easy, do I have to remove the gas tank? I'm pretty sure the plug that is in it now is the one from the factory

Also does anyone know the ngk replacement part number for the plug wire, the Polaris number is 3084980

Sent from my SGH-I757M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
You have to remove the gas tank to get to it. The plug wire is nothing special. You can get it at any small engine shop, or the dealer likely has it in bulk. The wire just unscrews from the coil and the cap just screws onto the wire as well.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
One word of advice, use compressed air to blow out hole for spark plug before you remove it, any mud or debri that's in the hole will fall into motor when u take plug out, Shouldn't have to remove tank, its tight but can be done from right side, remove inspection panel.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Can you not get the factory tool in from the right hand side and slip it into the hole and loosen it, then unwind by hand? I have never taken my gas tank off to remove a plug, but I have never owned a 01 400 but have an 01 500.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
What Russ said. ^ Take the right side panel off and it's not bad at all.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Never removed my gas tank, just remove right side panel.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok that's good news, has anyone tried am iridium plug? Will they make any difference at all

·
Registered
275 Posts
Not tried a iridium plug. Been running the stock Ngk .

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
I run Iridiums, seem to make it start better, cant say for sure if there is any performance gain but im not switching back.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have no problem starting, even after sitting for a few weeks in freezing temperatures it starts the first flick of the button, but I also heard it improves idle and throttle response

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
x2 on using the factory tool. Only thing that came in the toolkit for my 500 that was worth anything.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts