Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone. I recently rode down a creek and found my way into a hole I wasn't ready for. Upon inspection I could see there was mud residue in my breather tubes so I decided I would ask my local dealer about flushing the front differential, and transmission/rear differential. He was very helpful and gave me a print out from the Polaris Service manual for our model. Below you will find a detailed how-to on flushing or changing your fluids.

Items Required
5/16 Hex Bolt Socket
Socket Wrench
2 QTs of "Polaris AGL Gearcase Lubricant and Transmission Fluid"
1 QT "Polaris Demand Drive Fluid (For Hub & Centralized Hilliard Clutches)"
Long skinny funnel (preferably one with a hose at the end of it)
Diesel fluid and/or cheap lightweight oil

Front Gearbox/Differential

Step 1: Locate your drain plug and remove it (for draining obviously haha). It is below the diff and has a cut out in the factory skid plate so it shouldn't be too hard.

Step 2: Allow all fluid to drain and reinsert the drain plug and tighten it. Locate the fill plug and remove it. Fill with whichever flushing fluid you prefer. Personally I would use the cheap oil here because the roller cage (sprague carrier) is made of plastic and you don't wanna damage it. The correct amount of fluid to put in is 8.97 ounces, however the service manual says you can just fill it to the bottom of the "fill hole."

Step 3: Jack the atv up and spin the front wheels BY HAND for a minute or two. This moves the "fill fluid" around inside the differential. After you're done, remove the drain plug again and allow all fluid to drain. (Depending on how milky your oil was originally, you may want to repeat these steps until it comes out squeaky clean.)

Step 4: After you're satisfied with your results, put your drain plug back in and tighten to 11 ft-lbs. Refill your front differential with the recommended Polaris Demand Drive Fluid (For Hub & Centralized Hilliard Clutches) at 8.97 ounces or until the bottom of the fill hole. Reinstall the fill plug at 8-10 ft-lbs.

Rear Differential/Transmission

Step 1: Locate your drain plug on the right hand side and remove it. Allow all trans/gearbox oil to drain.

Step 2: Re-install the drain plug and locate the fill plug on the left hand side. Remove it and pour in your "flush fluid." The proper amount for this is 33.8 ounces.

Step 3: Once you've filled the housing, re-install your fill plug and jack the rear of your atv up. Turn the wheels by hand for a minute or two to get the fluid everywhere. After you're done remove the drain plug again and allow all fluid to drain. (Depending on how milky your oil was originally, you may want to repeat these steps until it comes out clean.)

Step 4: Put your drain plug back in and tighten to 14 ft-lbs. Remove your fill plug and fill with Polaris AGL Gearcase Lubricant and Transmission Fluid. The proper amount is 33.8 ounces. The manual says it is VERY IMPORTANT not to overfill your transmission/rear gearbox. Once you've filled it back up, tighten the fill plug to 14 ft-lbs.

After you've completed these steps, lower your atv back onto the ground and ensure all plugs are back in their proper places. If you get confused as to which one goes where, the drain plugs have a black dot on it (a magnet) and the fill plugs do not. Put your atv into neutral and move it back and forth to ensure all your internals become properly lubricated again. Now you're ready to ride :)

Thanks to Adam's Motorsports of Montgomery, AL for giving me this information that I can now share with all of my fellow Sportsman 570 riders.

-Michael Salyer aka @WhiteGirlZ71 on Instagram

Reactions: Radeon

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Good info for diy'ers that may be nervous!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks for the post and the pics will come in handy for later service.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
All of that is covered in the owners manual. No need for a service tech manual for all of that. Thanks for sharing though

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Word of advice, break loose your fill plugs BEFORE removing the drain plugs. Does ya no good to be able to drain all the fluid and gunk out if you can't get the fill plug out without stripping it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Word of advice, break loose your fill plugs BEFORE removing the drain plugs. Does ya no good to be able to drain all the fluid and gunk out if you can't get the fill plug out without stripping it.
+1 to that!
Removing the fill plugs first also allows the draining fluid to get out faster :p

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah, I spent some time yesterday making sure I could loosen all the drains and fill plugs before I go to turkey camp as I will be changing all my break in fluids. I was using actual allen wrenches and it should be noted that on a regular allen wrench, the short end is too short to reach the plug around the frame. So I put the long end in and put a cresent wrench onto the Allen wrench. Worked just fine. Some were pretty snug, but I got em all loose and retightened. Good Thread.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
do you really need to flush the diffs and tranny everytime?, I always use to just drain and fill with new oil
No... If you would have read the introductory paragraph I stated I found my way into a hole I was not ready for and later realized that mud/water/sand got into my tranny and diff.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Nice write up!!

Maybe a mod could copy this over to the how to section??

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Why would anyone put in 33.8 OZ in the rear? Ill stick to 32 which is what comes in a quart. It's obvious Polaris just wanted to sell more fluid when they warn "DO NOT OVERFILL" but make sure you use a splash more than we will sell you in one quart.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why would anyone put in 33.8 OZ in the rear? Ill stick to 32 which is what comes in a quart. It's obvious Polaris just wanted to sell more fluid when they warn "DO NOT OVERFILL" but make sure you use a splash more than we will sell you in one quart.....
My manual says 32ounces.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Fill the trans just like the differentials...until it just barely seeps out the fill hole and go riding. Been doing it that way for years and always works perfectly

·
Registered
41 Posts
Polaris 2015 Sportsman 570.

Hello. What do I do if there's a winch by the demand drive filler plug? It's pretty impossible to plug the allen wrench.

Please assist.

Thank you.

Al

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Hello. What do I do if there's a winch by the demand drive filler plug? It's pretty impossible to plug the allen wrench.

Please assist.

Thank you.

Al
If you cant get to it you take the winch off everytime you change the fluid. The sportsman 500's were also like that. I'd suggest you try an allen socket and see if that will work. It works on my 570 Ace and it also has a winch

1 - 20 of 28 Posts