Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I'm new here. Just about to buy a polaris 570. Came into one isse. Dont really wanna buy a trailer. I have 2010 tacoma trd. Inside wheel wells are just under 48 inches I think its 44. Any ideas of how to make a bed mod or an idea in general on how to make it fit in bed. Thanks in advance. Is the front tire witdh less then back??

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Ive seen people make wooden platforms for in front of the wheelwells. Then just drive up over them and the wheels stay on the platforms

S3

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bsutton.5 can you find me a pic of that. That's what I've had in mind but wanna see it. Thats the only thing holding me of in buying it, right now

·
Registered
426 Posts
I can't seem to find any pictures of what I'm thinking of, but just basically build a box out of lumber that fits across the bed in front of the wheel wells, and level with the top of the wheel wells. Then you just drive over the wheel wells and the front tires will sit on top of it.

On the other hand, you might be better off with a trailer. You can find a decent small used trailer pretty cheap. It's much easier and safer loading/unloading with a trailer, and it may come in useful for hauling other things as well. Plus you can haul your wheeler and still be able to put stuff in your bed too.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

·
Registered
426 Posts
This is a little different than your situation, but same concept. This guy built this one so he could fit his wheeler in with the tailgate closed.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I useto use my ford ranger to haul my 550 in the bed. Not so fun.
Put'r in 4 low and up and over the wheel wells, notice the cushion so I didn't drive threw the window...

Now I have a Silverado 1500 Z71 and a trailer. Much easier and safer.

It can be done when the budget is tight, but once you do it for a few months you will find away to get a trailer.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I always trailered mine to places and one time I put mine in the back of my ram 1500.....it was a pita unloading and loading it up to go to different systems at hatfield.....I'll never do it again....Get a trailer. As already said, much easier and safer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Get a trailer.......

·
Registered
944 Posts
Get a trailer. Easier and safer to load. More useful. Driving ATVs up steep ramps onto a truck can be dangerous.

Don't know but " IF " backing a trailer up is and issue .......

Basically, what you do is you turn the BOTTOM of the truck's steering wheel to the left if you want the trailer's BACK END to go left, etc. Don't try and make a huge cut all at once. Do it in steps, pull forward to reposition or straighten out if needed. People get into problems when they get anxious and try to turn it too far all at once. Patience and a little practice and it's relatively easy.

Short trailers are harder to back up than longer trailers so take your time,

·
Registered
679 Posts
I prefer to put my wheeler in the back of my truck. I do have a trailer for when I have my fourwheel camper in the bed of the truck. My aluminium ramps are almost 8' long. They are bent almost flat from a friend borrowing them to put his jeep on a trailer. I was a little sketched using them for the first time bent, but they still work fine. I wouldn't say one is safer than the other, I have a full size long bed. If your ramps are anchored properly, what's the problem? Everyone has their own notion of what "safe" is. I used to frame houses, it put me through college. I'd walk a 2x4 top plate 3 stories up rolling trusses not tied off to anything. Those days are long behind me, but putting a wheeler in the back of the truck, piece of cake.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I agree, secure the ramps to the truck and you are good to go. If the ramps seem steep back the truck up to a curb and then put the ramps down and load. The six inches of the curb doesn't seem like it would help much but it makes a big difference. Just make sure the tailgate can handle the weight, I haven't seen it but some guys at work were talking about toyota tailgates bending real easy. Not bashing just trying to help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Tacoma as well and there is enough give in the wheel wells to squeeze the front tires between them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I love my ramp. Kind of expensive($300) at home depot but Imo cheaper than a trailer and takes up less space.my ramp feels secure and safe. I usually use a strap to hitch but some times forget. Just watch a quad ramp fail video n you wont forget a strap.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
I love my ramp. Kind of expensive($300) at home depot but Imo cheaper than a trailer and takes up less space.my ramp feels secure and safe. I usually use a strap to hitch but some times forget. Just watch a quad ramp fail video n you wont forget a strap.
Ordered mine off Amazon. Love the tri-fold but after I put upgraded tires on my ride it barely fits on the ramp. Always strap mine to the bumper. So far so good.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts