Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2012 Sportsman 500 HO and I installed a Superwinch Terra 35 3500 pound winch as I heard some guys and gals have done this overkill setup. I noticed after using it for about 10 secs even reving the motor I get the low battery flashing. Is there kits available to run a dual battery setup in parallel or to have a larger battery (though I don't think it would fit) or upgraded batteries that are 12v but hold more juice? Any help would be great thanks. :)

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
you need to figure out the CCA (cold cranking amps) of your battery. you may be able to find a battery that is the same size physically as yours but has better CCA. The more CCA's you have the stronger, and longer the battery should last under load. Deep cycle is another term that is common and generally come with larger CCA's.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you need to figure out the CCA (cold cranking amps) of your battery. you may be able to find a battery that is the same size physically as yours but has better CCA. The more CCA's you have the stronger, and longer the battery should last under load. Deep cycle is another term that is common and generally come with larger CCA's.
It's the factory battery so whatever they are. Good to know, anyone know what the store battery specs are?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Actually, deep cycle batteries usually have lower CCA ratings compared to starting batteries. Deep cycles are designed for deeper discharge with more recharge cycles before they are worn out than conventional batteries.

Deep cycles are used in things like boats and golf carts where you have a constant drain and then a charge cycle after use. They do make a hybrid that is sort of a compromise between the two. I run a hybrid on my outboard for cranking and low draw electronics and a dedicated deep cycle on my trolling motor.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Had the same issue and replaced the battery with a 27ah lithium Adventure Power (Shorai). 405 CCA, smaller in size a weights a fifth of the factory Yuasa 18ah. Plus no need to use a tender - ever... Looking at the space, i think a 36ah might fit as well...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Had the same issue and replaced the battery with a 27ah lithium Adventure Power (Shorai). 405 CCA, smaller in size a weights a fifth of the factory Yuasa 18ah. Plus no need to use a tender - ever... Looking at the space, i think a 36ah might fit as well...
I'll have to look into those when I am in need of a battery. My atv gets intermittent use and sitting without a tender is rough on a lead acid battery. I do well to get 2 years out of one.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I kept the factory battery as a spare. Once you go lithium, there is no going back. Unless there bis a malfunction, which has not happened yet...

I'll have to look into those when I am in need of a battery. My atv gets intermittent use and sitting without a tender is rough on a lead acid battery. I do well to get 2 years out of one.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
The only cons I have really seen with Li-Ion is price and when they do die it is very sudden. The latter may not be a bad thing though as it would be working at a higher capacity for a longer period of time. If you are riding with others far out that shouldn't be an issue though.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
The winch is likely just fine. I also suspect your battery. You may have a bad cell or
R even a couple "under performing" cells. A winch is a HI Draw item. Drawing far more than the electrical system was designed for. Before you all get excited, YES most of us have them and the manufacturers know it. The battery is where the power comes from, unlike the rest of the bike which could run on what the stator puts out. When a batt begins to go you see things like dim lights or slow starting revolutions.

Many auto parts places will test your battery for free. I would pull it and head to one of these places. OR but a battery acid tester and try it. Generally speaking unless you use a tender or routinely re charge your battery. Two years is alot or ask of a ATV/motor cycle battery. Remember these are not used all the time like our autos. If they where than you would see more use time.

Be sure all winch connections are TITE and BRITE. Meaning CLEAN! Even discoloration is resistance and resistance means less of the available power is getting to the winch.

CW

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I called a battery store locally in town and the guy said no matter how big a battery I go it wont help with the winch draining it fast he said it's my charging system? It's a 2012! He said otherwise add a second battery. What you think he's full of shit?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok I called another place seemed better. Guy said as long as I can fit a Odyssey battery i'm good. The PC310 fits but said if I can just cut the sides of the tray I can fit the PC680 so Im gonna go that route. I'll check my tray later on to see if it's doable :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
I kept the factory battery as a spare. Once you go lithium, there is no going back. Unless there bis a malfunction, which has not happened yet...

What model number did you install?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's a sweet and prolly the most expensive and powerful battery i've seen that size! I might go that route, thanks :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Don't remember. They only make two in the 27ah range, with positive on either side. I picked the one that matched with positive on the left when looking from the front...
They also provide spacers to make the battery fit snug...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts