Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Yesterday I was stuck in mud and my winch broke. One of my friend help me but if it happen again and I'm alone, do you know good creative and good solution to get out of mud without a winch ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
554 Posts
Ditto. A nice heavy duty nylon tow strap and a come along will do it. Harbor Freight sells a 4000 Lb. Cable Winch Puller for $19. The 8000 lb. model is only $26. Of course you need a tree nearby.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Put one end of a tow strap around a tree and wrap the other end around a tire, then slowly spin the tires to wrap the strap around the tire, and it will pull the atv out. But be verry careful, the strap can slip off the tire with violent force.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Put one end of a tow strap around a tree and wrap the other end around a tire, then slowly spin the tires to wrap the strap around the tire, and it will pull the atv out. But be verry careful, the strap can slip off the tire with violent force.
With the ATV stuck in the mud, I'm not sure using the tire. The weight of the ATV + the mud succion on the road... Not dangerous to broke something ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ditto. A nice heavy duty nylon tow strap and a come along will do it. Harbor Freight sells a 4000 Lb. Cable Winch Puller for $19. The 8000 lb. model is only $26. Of course you need a tree nearby.
Is it better to choose the 8000 lb ? or the 4000 will do the job without problem ?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Dig as much out as you can around the tires, then put Branches/sticks/small logs under the tires

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,647 Posts
When ur alone going around any and all situations that put u in a vulnerable position is ur best bet.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
When ur alone going around any and all situations that put u in a vulnerable position is ur best bet.
My thoughts exactly. If alone and there is any other way to go around hazards, do it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What exactly I need/ what would be the perfect kit ? I guess:

- Automatic winch mount on my ATV
- manual come along (8000lb)
- 1 Heavy Duty Recovery Strap (How many feets ?)
- 1 tree saver strap + 1 d-ring
- 1 snatch block
- 2-3 shackle

With the winch on the ATV, what do you think about a Synthetic rope ?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Get nicer friends

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Maybe I'm an idiot but what is a "Come along"? Surely I'd like to know, maybe I'll get one. I like to buy stuff and pack my bags full of just in case stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Damn, that's cool. Thanks bsutton.5. I appreciate the help. May have to get one, you never know. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Maybe I'm an idiot but what is a "Come along"? Surely I'd like to know, maybe I'll get one. I like to buy stuff and pack my bags full of just in case stuff.
You're not an idiot for not knowing what a come-a-long is. The idiots are people who don't know and still don't ask, but act like they do know

1 - 20 of 50 Posts