Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a "non working" fourwheeler for 400$ and got it to run. However, it sounded TERRIBLE. This was because the pistol head had broken off and broke the oil pump which broke everything else. I found a used WORKING 1996 Sportsman 500 Engine in perfect shape for 650$ on ebay. It arrived about 1 1/2 months ago. I took it to polaris up where my lake house is, they didn't start on it even thought it was there for 3 weeks. Brought it back to where my city house is, they STILL didn't start on it even thought it's been 2 1/2 weeks. I've decided i'm going to install it myself as the Sportsman 500 Engine came in one piece. However, How do i install it?

I have everything that was on the old engine that still works. I want to know the best way to start installing it.

Pics of "new" engine

·
11,261 Posts
Where are you located? I'd put it in for you in about 5 to 6 hours with no bad luck. Wiring just plugs in other than the starter wire. There's front, rear and top motor mounts. The carb and air box are pretty simple. Fuel lines aren't too difficult. You'll need a clutch puller for the drive clutch and the driven just pulls off so you can remove the inner clutch cover.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where are you located? I'd put it in for you in about 5 to 6 hours with no bad luck. Wiring just plugs in other than the starter wire. There's front, rear and top motor mounts. The carb and air box are pretty simple. Fuel lines aren't too difficult. You'll need a clutch puller for the drive clutch and the driven just pulls off so you can remove the inner clutch cover.
I'm in Georgia. I looked at my fourwheeler. I think it''s pretty simple. However, the engine seems to be bigger than the frame?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts