Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my dealer do the first service after break in, and he asked if I had put the Iridium plug in. I said yes and told him why.

He said that the quad is running rich, that many of them do, and that they have gotten quite a few in with fouled plugs. He said the Iridium plug probably kept it from getting fouled, but that it needed to be cleaned up and it is still obviously running rich.

What is odd is that I was worried about it being lean, due to my installing a K&N air filter and opening up the stock exhaust to make it sound and flow better. The end of my stock muffler has a 2" outlet on it now, and it sounds like aftermarket.

So my question is, without purchasing fueling accessories(yet), how can I lean this thing out a bit, or should I try a hotter spark plug?

Should I open up the intake a bit on the airbox? That is still very restricted, but if I open that up, that would cause it to lean out a bit, no?

I don't want to run the box open and get water and mud in there, but if anyone has an idea on how to open it up and increase the flow to the airbox by a good amount, without too much risk of mud and water getting in there, I would love to know.

I don't submerge the quad, but we do ride through a lot of mud and large puddles...

Any ideas?

·
Registered
815 Posts
The snorkel part is just 4 screws to the lid. I removed mine and noticed a difference in power and responsiveness.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
How about something like these: Twin Air Airbox Vents

Just a thought.

I've also heard that you can install an 800 airbox snorkel since it's a bit larger.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Those vents look like a good addition. The snorkel on the 570 is already much larger and never squeezes down like the older 500 and 800s did. I run an exhaust mod, iridium plug, and no lid. I'll have to check my plug again. Only 1 big ride with no lid.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those vents look like they would work, interesting.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What I just did as a start, is take a 1" hole saw and drill three 1" holes in the top of the box, right below where the snorkel meets the lid, so above the filter where it connects to the mount inside the airbox. It lets in more air and I can ride it tomorrow and see how it does. I may drill more, and then pick up some 1" rubber plugs or grometts from Ace Hardware, which will allow me to plug them one at a time until it seems to be the right amount of extra air to make the motor run the smoothest. I can sorta fine tune it that way, and when I know I am gonna be in some serious mud or water, or what I want to pressure wash it, I can plug all the holes with those rubber plugs and it is basically sealed back to stock.

Cost, less than $5.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I had an idea about how to create one that had a breathable fabric, kinda like the EHS racing one, but would also be hydrophobic even with a vacuum applied to one side. Unfortunately my 850 is already running lean due to the UNI and header wrapped my pipes back to the muffler. Until they come out with the fuel controller that runs off of AFR + throttle positioning, I'm just gonna wait.

Speaking of which, Ridin' any word on if they made that kit conversion yet for the 850s? I know they have the one that will hold whatever AFR you tell it, but I'd still want more automation so it would automatically lean more during cruising and enrich it during full throttling.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
What I just did as a start, is take a 1" hole saw and drill three 1" holes in the top of the box, right below where the snorkel meets the lid, so above the filter where it connects to the mount inside the airbox. It lets in more air and I can ride it tomorrow and see how it does. I may drill more, and then pick up some 1" rubber plugs or grometts from Ace Hardware, which will allow me to plug them one at a time until it seems to be the right amount of extra air to make the motor run the smoothest. I can sorta fine tune it that way, and when I know I am gonna be in some serious mud or water, or what I want to pressure wash it, I can plug all the holes with those rubber plugs and it is basically sealed back to stock.

Cost, less than $5.
Cool let us know how it does.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'm on plug #3 right now with about 15 hours on it. 2nd plug was a NGK Iridium. Plug I have now is just an NGK R plug. Whole tank through it yesterday and it ran better than ever. Hope when it goes in for the first service there is something they can do about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
surly not every 570 can be having this problem?.. what's the cause lads?..
Sounds like Polaris has the EFI mapping to far rich, maybe to be on the safe side? Not sure really, but mine seems to be running a bit "fat". Although it's hard to say as with the weather here, you can't really ride right now except down the driveway.

·
Registered
238 Posts
surly not every 570 can be having this problem?.. what's the cause lads?..
Sounds like Polaris has the EFI mapping to far rich, maybe to be on the safe side? Not sure really, but mine seems to be running a bit "fat". Although it's hard to say as with the weather here, you can't really ride right now except down the driveway.
There is a post on here saying they do that during the break in period. After you take it in for it's first service they MIGHT remap the computer. People have been saying after their first service the 570 felt like a brand new beast.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts