·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
52 Posts
Great video and thanks.

However do you have a recommendation for cleaning products for a ATV or UTV? I just got the Sportsman 850 SP in sunset red and would like to keep it looking like new as long as I can. I just hosed it off today with a garden hose and although most of the dirt/dust washed off, a lot was left behind which I used a towel to wipe the rest off.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Great video and thanks.

However do you have a recommendation for cleaning products for a ATV or UTV? I just got the Sportsman 850 SP in sunset red and would like to keep it looking like new as long as I can. I just hosed it off today with a garden hose and although most of the dirt/dust washed off, a lot was left behind which I used a towel to wipe the rest off.

Thanks
Dave
Car wash soap and a soft brush, dry and spray with maxima sc1

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
there was another product like that, and once a few coats and dry in the sun over and over it got a milky white and cracked it looked terrible and was ruined, hopefully they got that fixed with this product

·
Registered
237 Posts
Keeping your ATV looking new

I bought a Sunset Red 850 SP a few months ago too. I'm very particular about my things and keep it looking new all the time. I spend a lot of time on it and some people may not be willing to spend the time but if you are, here is what I do.

Wash it like you would a car. Spray off surface mud and dirt with a garden hose, NOT a pressure washer. Pressure washers can force water into places they shouldn't be, like electrical systems. Then, use a bucket of water with a good quality car soap, and a soft mit, NEVER use a brush!! Dry it with a towel or chamois and use a good quality car wax on the red painted areas. This will keep it shining like new and will make it easier to clean the next time.
Then, spray some Turtle Wax Wet'n Black Ultra Wet Tire Shine on the tires to keep them black. Also, spray some on a clean microfiber cloth and rub it on the black racks and black plastics on the foot wells. You won't believe how clean it will keep your machine. The water will even bead off your racks like it does on the paint, makes it much easier to clean the next time. Some people will use any old tire spray but it doesn't bring out the deep black in the plastic like this product will.

Turtle Wax Wet N' Black Ultra Wet Aerosol Tire Shine, 14.5oz - Walmart.com

This is what it looks like after I cleaned the mud off and shined it up.

Great video and thanks.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great video and thanks.

Thanks
Dave

^This is what I do^ except I use the Cover All instead of sc1 because I can pick it up at O'Reilly's instead of having to order it like sc1. Either one works great and helps the mud from sticking on your next ride.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Great video and thanks.

Thanks
Dave

^This is what I do^ except I use the Cover All instead of sc1 because I can pick it up at O'Reilly's instead of having to order it like sc1. Either one works great and helps the mud from sticking on your next ride.
Sure does, and it beats rubbing/wiping wax all over too.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've used that product and it does a nice job. I find it doesn't last as long as using a good quality car wax though. You have to reapply often. It doesn't take long to put a coat of wax on an ATV. It can be done in minutes.

^This is what I do^ except I use the Cover All instead of sc1 because I can pick it up at O'Reilly's instead of having to order it like sc1. Either one works great and helps the mud from sticking on your next ride.[/QUOTE]

Sure does, and it beats rubbing/wiping wax all over too.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
627 Posts
Plus they make cover all in a gallon jug. SC1 you have to purchase in a aerosol can only. I pour coverall into a spray bottle and it applies it much, much better than wasting half of it into the air like you would with a spray nozzle on a aerosol can.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Plus they make cover all in a gallon jug. SC1 you have to purchase in a aerosol can only. I pour coverall into a spray bottle and it applies it much, much better than wasting half of it into the air like you would with a spray nozzle on a aerosol can.
Where'd you get a gallon can? That sounds like a better way to go about it.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I'd love to try cover all but I doubt its sold in Canada.
$27/gal vs $10 can of sc1 I would be all over that.

·
Registered
165 Posts
zep foaming degreaser

·
Registered
52 Posts
Quick question on the Cover All.... After you spry it on the racks & plastic do you do take a dry lint free rag and rub it in?, wipe it dry?, are just leave it on wet? If you leave it on wet, will it dry at some point?

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I usually let it sit for a minute then wipe it down with a regular towel.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'll have to try find "Cover All" and give it a try. :fing02:

I personally use auto soap, hand mit, a soft bristle brush and of course soft (city) water to wash and rinse..... then after it dries I'll apply a one step foaming tire shine to all of the plastics (not the seat.... don't like playing "slip & slide"!).

·
Registered
729 Posts
Car Soap for the Wash , No Touch for the Tires and Lemon Pledge for the Plastic, Bars, Wheels and Wheel Wells.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I will be washing and detailing my bike in the next day or two and so I picked up a can of the Cover All today from my local O'reillys.

My question is who do you go to get a gallon of it? At 8 bucks a can it will get expensive to keep doing it this way.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I always washed my sunset red 850 with wash and wax and dry it off and use car polish and it looked like new.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
590 Posts
Great video and thanks.

Thanks
Dave

Ole Nasty...I picked up a can of the Cover All since I will be detailing my bike soon. I still have to get in and wash everything under the plastics and such. My main question/concern is this...what all do you spray that Cover All on? Is there anything I should avoid spraying? I don't want this to wind up like the time I used plastic restoring spray and used it on a plastic/rubber part near my window that basically turned to gum after being sprayed.

I sprayed just one spot on my box and noticed this stuff is a little thick IMO and so I just want to ask what all can I spray and what not too?

Thanks in advance!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts