Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so i notice my front right cv boot was ripped on my sportsman 600 so i went about fixing it. Got the new boot and clamps and grease from polaris and when i got to taking the axle out of the steering knuckle it wouldn't come. So i ended up just taking the cv right off of the axle while still in the knuckle. this worked but then had no way to get the cv back in the knuckle and back on the axle because of the angle. So i ended up taking the knuckle off by loosening the pinch bolts(or whatever they are called). So i got the boot replaced and the cv on the axle and in the knuckle but how do i get the knuckle back onto the "strut coil?". Im afraid i need a spring compressor. Im not at home now but will send pictures when i get home because I'm sure this is somewhat confusing. This is the first repair of this type i have done and am thinking the shop rate might actually be worth it. Thanks everyone for your help.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
You should be able to lift up on the knuckle enough to compress the spring and lock it in place with an extra set of hands. If not, then a spring compressor is in order.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Solution

Ended up just putting a manual scissor jack under the steering knuckle. Got strut coil compressor set from auto zone. But it was made for a macpherson strut so it didn't fit into the smaller coils of the atv. Hope this helps someone else do this. Probably not the safest way to do it. But be careful and it's effective.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts