Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The headlight/stop/run switch on my 2001 sportsman 500 is shot.
Replacing it is easy but looks like the last owner glued on the heated grip.
Any ideas for removing a glued on grip without ruining it?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
96 Posts
have you tried air nozzle yet to see if it's glued or not? if it is i would try sqirting wd 40 and work it in. it should soften it if it is contact cement. laquer thinner works quicker but more dangerous to use,(wear eye protection). compressed air with solvents should bring it.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Can't you unscrew the switch housing halves and take it off without removing the grip? :dunno:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
glued grip

It's definitely glued on. :-(

I could take the switch apart but I've done that before and it's a bear to put those back together. I did the last one (for a different machine) on the kitchen table where I could catch all the little springs and bearings, etc. Took me an hour or so but I cleaned it up and finally figured out how how to put it back together but then I just slid it onto the handlebar. reassembling it on the machine would be a nightmare.

Since I've already ordered a new switch I was hoping to just slide the new switch on without having to take it apart.

I will try the wd-40 approach.
Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Did you try the compressed air method......?

·
Registered
77 Posts
It's definitely glued on. :-(

I could take the switch apart but I've done that before and it's a bear to put those back together. I did the last one (for a different machine) on the kitchen table where I could catch all the little springs and bearings, etc. Took me an hour or so but I cleaned it up and finally figured out how how to put it back together but then I just slid it onto the handlebar. reassembling it on the machine would be a nightmare.

Since I've already ordered a new switch I was hoping to just slide the new switch on without having to take it apart.

I will try the wd-40 approach.
Thanks for the suggestions.
I know this is an old post but I am dealing with the exact same thing... wondering what method you ended up using and how did it go? Any advice?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts