Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey im trying to remove my primary clutch but do not have a clutch puller ! Is there anyway i can remove the primary clutch without the puller? 2005 Sportsman 500H.O.

Thanks, Jake

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
You need a long 8" piece of 3/4" fine tread and a 5/8 deep socket.

Remove bolt from primary, insert deep socket and thread in 3/4" bolt. Until it contacts socket. Apply force and the primary will pop free.

CW

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks alot for the quick reply! So you insert the socket first which way should you put it in the circle side in or out ? Also then what just turn the bolt with a thumb wrench? Sorry for the questions but its my first time doing a clutch and i want to make sure i get it right. Also how do you out the clutch back on will it just pop back on ?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I don't like the idea of shoving a piece of metal in there to press against the crank end that isn't designed to fit in the threaded hole that the retaining bolt goes in without damaging the threads. If you don't want to buy the proper puller then either tow it to the dealer or a qualified shop and have them pop it off for you or I have used the hydraulic method of tipping the machine on the side and filling the hole with water, Teflon tape your bolt threads and thread it into the clutch. It will pop right off, the water runs away and no cleanup. Very easy and costs about $2.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I use a store bought puller... Mine is a two piece DESIGNED for the XP... I bought it cause my pop has a XP... Guess what? It have a small cylindrical piece of metal JUST LIKE A SOCKET, that needs to be inserted before the threaded portion... As a matter of fact a socket is better polished and IMHO has a far LESS chance of damaging anything...

Metal on metal is NOT going to hurt anything... your NOT BEATING IT!!!

BTW, will not matter which end first, but I would insert as if it was used to remove a nut/bolt.

CW

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok cwlongshot thanks alot for the help! Now i have it off and in to the shop to get fixed how hard is it to put back on? Will it just pop back in place?

Reactions: jrsavoie

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Ok cwlongshot thanks alot for the help! Now i have it off and in to the shop to get fixed how hard is it to put back on? Will it just pop back in place?
Yup !

It's a tapered fit like a drill press chuck. Slide it on, and torque the bolt and your done!

Also be sure you mark the primary pieces before you take it apart needs to back to going to the same way.

CW

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright should the bolt be torqued on at a certain ft/lbs or just tighten it tight ?

Thanks, Jake

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Alright should the bolt be torqued on at a certain ft/lbs or just tighten it tight ?

Thanks, Jake

We'll..... That's a judgement call. Remember it's not a large bolt. I do not remember of the top of my head what it was supposed to be torqued to. (Maybe someone will know or have a place to check. ) It it was less than I thought.

If you don't have ability to torque, don't go crazy tight it's like a 3/8" bolt and long slender so will not take allot and it would SUK MAJOR to strip or break it off.

CW

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Metal on metal is NOT going to hurt anything... your NOT BEATING IT!!!
That's not technically true.... Brinelling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have to design components to be bolted together but not brinell most every day.
IMHO this does not apply to this application. Remember it is used for REMOVING so the primary is only as tight as the press tapered fit...

Besides as I said, the deep socket is nearly identical to the piece from my factory puller...

CW

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks alot cwlongshot and everybody else you were all very helpful!!

·
Registered
4,081 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
5/8 deep socket and no you cant. 3/4 fine thread bolt at least 6 inches long you should be able to get one at any construction distributer. Insert the socket thread the bolt in till it stops and them put a wrench on it and half a crank clutch pops right off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2005 polaris 330 trail boss 330

trying to replace rear swing arm bushings left side got a 1'' 5/8 socket on bolt could it be left hand thread the side with the belt anyone done before thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts