Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was wondering if any of you guys know how to remove deep scratches? I have some deep ones on the back right of my sportsman and I was thinking about taking extremely fine sandpaper and wet sand the scratches out. It's a basically brand new machine it has 261 miles on it and it kills me that the machine has them. Any tips or tricks on removing scratches would be much appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
2 Options

Cover it with:
1) Mud
2) Manure

I prefer mud. You will get over the scratches real soon. If not, change the tires, add some blinkers, a horn, a seatbelt, and a state license plate. Wouldn't want to drive it on gravel now, would you.

·
Registered
96 Posts
you need to stay home with it and just pet it it will stay real nice that way

·
Registered
425 Posts
Tough crowd!

·
Registered
505 Posts
The heat gun trick works. My green 2001 looked grey from being in the sun and a heat gun brought the color back. Scratches won't disappear but they'll be hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I hate people that think atv`s that are used need to look beat up. I have over 2700 miles on my 2013 550 XP and it still looks new. The 08 500 EFI I traded in on it had over 9000 miles and they gave me $3500 for it because I took care of it and it looked new as well. If you know how to ride and act like an adult your machine can look good and last a long time. And still be worth something at the end of the day.

·
Registered
806 Posts
As to the OP's second question on deep scratches: it will not 100% remove them but you can blend them in enough that they are harder to notice. You would obviously know where they are but someone a few feet away probably wouldn't see them.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I hate people that think atv`s that are used need to look beat up. I have over 2700 miles on my 2013 550 XP and it still looks new. The 08 500 EFI I traded in on it had over 9000 miles and they gave me $3500 for it because I took care of it and it looked new as well. If you know how to ride and act like an adult your machine can look good and last a long time. And still be worth something at the end of the day.
To each their own. Some folks are super anal with their toys. Me, I grease the hell out of my 550, change the oil before the recommended mileage, but I have never washed it. Hell, I don't wash my trucks.

I used to hunt a lot with the former vice president of Foster Farms before he passed away. His advice to me was "never trust a skinny chef and NEVER trust a man with a clean truck, they have too much time on there hands".

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
It's all about picking your battles. If you know how and where you plan on riding you should have a good idea of what to expect as far as future scratches. If you're going to end up with a lot of them anyway, why waste the time now? If you're going to do wide open trails and little to no work with it? go ahead and do the work. It's just a matter of what you plan on doing with it. For me, I ride on tight trails where every time I ride I'd come back with another scratch or scrape. So for me, it wouldn't be worth the time to fix it, no matter how new the bike was.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts