Polaris ATV Forum banner

How to test the ball joints for wear

615 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  bp405 
#1 ·
Is there a way to test these ball joints on the struts? I have a 2002 Trail Boss with a lot of miles on it. I would like to inspect the ball joints for wear but I am not sure if its the same method as a car? Anybody have any insight on this? Thanks.

#2 ·
Same method can be used as on a car. The parts are light enough that you can grad the strut and a-arm be hand to test for play. You can also grab the wheel at 12+6 o'clock using a push pull method as you look at the ball-joint for movement.

Reactions: Desertdave
#4 ·
Let me say the last set of ball-joints I did were SHOT!!!! The abuse the machine was taking I'm surprised they held up. I will say I'm pretty good (knock on wood) at picking out and avoiding obstacles out on the trail. But it happens and if the ball-joints are worn and you hit something out there just right that piece just shears. Then you're SOL!!!! Both on the trail and when you try and remove it. These wheelers do get beat up and some play is acceptable but changing worn parts before they become broken parts is the name of the game!!

Reactions: Desertdave
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.