Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're having problems with your charging system. To test the stator Pull the side cover off the left side of the body there are 3 yellow wires coming out of the front left of the motor maybe different colors. they will run into 1 flat plug that runs up to the top of the radiator unplug the flat plug that has 3 wires beside the motor with the bike off check the ohms between all 3 wires that means test 1 2 and1 3 and 2 3 should be no more than 3 owns of resistance now test all 3 wires continuity to ground they should not be in continuity with the ground meaning it should not read anything. now with the bike running test AC voltage between all 3 wires 1 2 and 1 3 and 2 3 it should read at idle around 22 to 30 when you give it gas the number should go up to about 40 to 50 between each test of wires if they all check out with about the same numbers then plug it back in start the bike up let it warm up to normal operating temperature and repeat the test if all the numbers remain the same then your stator is good plug everything back in and check the voltage regulator there is a black and red wires coming out of the voltage regulator it should read around 14 volts if not your voltage regulator is bad if it is reading 14 volts goto the battery and test the voltage there if you're not getting 14 volts at the battery you have a broken wire or bad connection. Hope this help someone with their problems

·
Registered
222 Posts
Nice write up, thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Will try per your instructions.

I'm having charging issues with my 06 Sportsman 500 HO.
I have just 12 volts at the battery while the motor is running so
I will try your instructions tomorrow.

TIA.
dave

·
Premium Member
7,483 Posts
Nice write up. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When mine was doing that it was the voltage regulator mounted up at the front bumper under the rack

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bump hopefully this will help someone

·
Registered
155 Posts
so i have an eps issue. should the battery read 14 volts with the engine off?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
no a fully charged battery I think reads about 12.5 - 13

·
Premium Member
7,483 Posts
What voltage do you measure after it "warms up"?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Should these atvs charge the same as a vehicle? Around 12 volts off and around 14 running? Mine has been hitting like 18 volts while going down the road. Thinking I may need a new voltage regular.

·
Premium Member
7,483 Posts
Yes the voltages should be similar. Change the VR it's bad!!! Do it ASAP before those higher voltages start burning sh!t up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's the plan. When I got it, it needed a new stator and a bunch of stuff. The speedo and all digital stuff doesn't work either. I'm assuming whoever had it before me road it alot with the high voltage and fried everything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This forum is 5 years old, but I just tested my 2017 Polaris 450 HO - the voltage at the yellow wires was 20-21 at idle cold - 19.5-20 at operating temp. Since these are lower than 22....does that mean the stator is bad?

The voltage at the regulator was 12.6 - lower than 14. Is this due to the lower voltage at the stator or is the regulator bad?

·
Registered
2 Posts
after running my 2014 400 ho with the lights on for about 20 min while travelinv the battery appears on the desplay and things start to dim. have 14.5 volts when doing the test cold to the battery.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts