Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to find a way to make my free paper maps last longer. I often pick up really nice maps from the Ranger stations for free. Sometimes I will print some off the web if its not local. Problem is they go through lots of abuse. Tearing at the folds is the biggest problem, but getting wet is common as well.

I Googled map waterproofing and this product came up.
Map and Paper Sealing - Waterproof Maps |Aquaseal®

Anyone used this before with good results? I need to be able to still fold the map well. Laminating is out since some of my maps are about 3 feet square. Also laminating doesn't fold, its too rigid. :thinking:

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
I laminated my trail maps and then put them in a clear map holder that I strapped to my quad around the gas tank. Always wanted to invest in a garmin. That might be the way to go.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a very old Garmin. I only use it for bread crump safety, elevation, average speed/max speed and altimeter. I don't think you can download maps to it anyway. I'm not a big fan of electronics. A fancy new one is not in my budget. Prefer the old school fold out trail map.
My cell phone is a flip phone with a rotary dial if that makes things clearer. Lol

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Garmin etrex Hcx rocks. You can get weatherproofing spray for your fabric and use it on your maps. When riding in the mountains I don't ever hit the trails without my GPS and paper maps. You can download most trail systems off the net but I haven't had too. Usually ride Windrock Tn and their maps have latitude & longitude for easy cross reference. About 110000 acres so you don't want to get lost. Also, for any rescue having the GPS coordinates is critical.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Low dollar fix....I fold my maps to the section I'm riding and simply stick them in a gallon sized ziplock. I pick out a terrain feature that's near the fold so I know where to stop to adjust the map in the bag and continue on....I either just stick the bag in a bungee on the front rack/cooler bungee or in a cargo pocket or inside jacket....it has worked well on both big trips we took last summer.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
My wife has a laminater that she uses for her daycare that I can use for paper maps but I usually just use the tracking apps on my cell phone.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I make a photocopy of the map of area we are riding (enlarged if needed and multiple pages) and put it in the clear map pocket on my tank bag. I keep the folded up map in a zipper bag and keep it in my front rack bag just in case.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
My wife has a laminater that she uses for her daycare that I can use for paper maps but I usually just use the tracking apps on my cell phone.
Thor, just be certain your phone has a built in GPS as the single triangulation only works if you have a signal. Many mountain areas have no cell service and render cell phones useless. A good GPS will work in the deepest Mountain valley and under the densest canopies. Had this occur in Tenn constantly and the only thing that worked was GPS. Actually thinking about SPOT GPS tracking system with text and emergency beacon that work off satellite. Google it, it has some great features and is cheap. My friends got lost in the mountains two ago and only had cell phones and maps and neither worked at night in the rain. Luckily the finally found asphalt and found a gas station as two had run out of fuel. I bought the GPS before the next ride. Hand fun tracking my flight to Cancun with it too this week. Got is with 100k topo maps package for $150 t bass pro. Works great for hunting and fishing too.

·
Registered
679 Posts
If the maps are free, grab two! Zip lock bag might be your cheapest option.

If you need a GPS to get home, you better just stay home.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Staples can laminate big maps. it's somewhat thin and maybe foldable. I know the OP said no lam, but thought I'ld throw this out there. I ziplock my maps and then place them in the pocket of a fishing vest I wear while riding.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Thor, just be certain your phone has a built in GPS as the single triangulation only works if you have a signal. Many mountain areas have no cell service and render cell phones useless. A good GPS will work in the deepest Mountain valley and under the densest canopies. Had this occur in Tenn constantly and the only thing that worked was GPS. Actually thinking about SPOT GPS tracking system with text and emergency beacon that work off satellite. Google it, it has some great features and is cheap. My friends got lost in the mountains two ago and only had cell phones and maps and neither worked at night in the rain. Luckily the finally found asphalt and found a gas station as two had run out of fuel. I bought the GPS before the next ride. Hand fun tracking my flight to Cancun with it too this week. Got is with 100k topo maps package for $150 t bass pro. Works great for hunting and fishing too.
I'm riding in fairly metropolitan areas compared to some. and usually not more than 10-15 miles from a cell tower. All I need to get reception is get up high. If I go any deeper I'll have printed maps. I don't trust electronics if I don't have too, and have yet to be failed by my "leave marks where you turn" technique to find my way back home. The phone is really just there for S's and G's. to see the route after the fact. and the elevation/distance/speed/etc. I also like using the aerial photos to see where I'm going before hand. familiarize myself with the area so to speak.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Big ziplock folded to area I am riding.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Why not just bite the bullet and spend a few bucks on the very nice 'waterproof maps'? The local ranger district here has them for $10. Last for years!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Not everywhere has nice maps like that. 99% of the time in MN they don't even have any maps at all

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts