Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, I think I never seen a post about a 850 blowing up or pumping oil... are they really that much an indestructible engine?

Anyone had mecanical engine problem?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Actually theres been couple of threads of 2011 motors blowing up

·
Registered
460 Posts
There will be mixed reviews on this topic. I only have a few hundred miles on mine, but they seem to be pretty tough with proper maintenance. I've read a good bit about people admittedly riding them pretty damn hard with little to no problems!

·
Registered
326 Posts
There will be mixed reviews on this topic. I only have a few hundred miles on mine, but they seem to be pretty tough with proper maintenance. I've read a good bit about people admittedly riding them pretty damn hard with little to no problems!
Exactly!
If you treat it right it will treat You right.
I have 700 miles on my 850 and the only problem iv had is that the oil filter came loose and leaked a little oil. I guess that was my fault for not tightining correctly.:chairfall:

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm one of those guys that's hard on shit. No problems yet. If someone knows where I can get a turbo put on this thing we can test out the bottom end with some boost. I haven't had any luck finding a kit yet

·
Registered
1,465 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Here is a link to an exploding 850 motor.

http://www.polarisatvforums.com/for...853-game-over-engine-exploded-850-2011-a.html.

*edit. A few others
http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/polaris-xp/38347-2012-850-xp-engine-problems.html
850 xp big problems - ATV Torture Forums

Other then a few isolated incidents, The 850 motor appears to be a solid power plant.
If I needed a big bore Utility ATV today, I would buy an 850 without any concerns.
Those links make me wonder if I should check and see if I can still buy an EXT warranty!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not too bad...

Mine now has 6300km, big part of that reving at over 7000rpm at high speed, and the rest s rough trails in low gear where if I need some wheel spin it get to the rev limiter quite often... I must have a good one... or its about to blow up...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Those links make me wonder if I should check and see if I can still buy an EXT warranty!
You can buy up until factory warranty expires
I know and I'm really close to that date if not just past it!

What do y'all think? Polaristar wants almost $800 for an additional 1.5 years!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
You can buy up until factory warranty expires
I know and I'm really close to that date if not just past it!

What do y'all think? Polaristar wants almost $800 for an additional 1.5 years!
I paid about $725 for the 4.5 year extension.

Contact this place for a warranty quote. It will likely be a lot cheaper than your dealer. My dealer price matched and yours may as well.

Alabama Yamaha Suzuki Polaris Spyder Can Am Sea Doo Ural Motorcycle, Atv, Ranger, Rhino Watercraft Dealer on AL MS State Line, Sales, Service, Parts.

This is from their website.

"Most Polaris, Can-Am, Suzuki, and Yamaha Atv's come with a 6 month factory warranty. Yamaha & Suzuki street legal motorcycles come with 1 year/unlimited miles. Yamaha Venture & Royal Star come with 5 years/unlimited miles. Can-Am Spyders come with 2 years/unlimited miles. Yamaha & Suzuki play bikes come with 3 months, and RM & YZ come with 30 days. Sea Doo person watercraft (PWC) come with 1 year. Check your owners manual for more information.

Call Frank Langley @ 888-540-1824 in our business office about an extended warranty good at any dealership in the nation that could save you THOUSANDS of dollars TODAY!!

Didn't buy from us? NO PROBLEM!!
If your bike is still under warranty we'll sell you a factory warranty for LESS!!"

http://www.motorsportssuperstore.com/miscpage_001.asp

·
Registered
460 Posts
Treacherous, thanks for the information! I will look into this immediately.
Edit: I just looked and I have until the 13th to get this done, so thanks again.

Sorry to hijack the thread OP.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I just spent a week plowing in sub zero temps literally beating my 850 to death pushing 15-20" deep snow and it never missed a beat. Started on first hit of the starter at -15 degrees and I pushed 6 foot high hills of snow. Engine has 112 hours and about 1000 miles with no problems. So much fun you don't even know it's cold out. During the summer I beat the hell out of it in mud and in the mountains rocks of Tenn at least twice a year and the only issue I had was I got an electrical connector wet and it missed a little. Problem solved with di-electric grease on all connectors. Once again, use the right oils and change them frequently and your good to go. There are always issues as these engines are mass produced so there is bound to be mechanical failure but those should rear their heads early on. As soon as you get through your engine break in period put the engine through it's paces to ensure all is well. Warrenty work is always sketchy as it only covers manufacturers defects so make sure if you have a failure to make sure your ride is as clean as they day it left the showroom. Bring it in covered in mud and they will try to blame you for the condition. There are some good dealers out there but they are few and far between.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts