Polaris ATV Forum banner

How/Where to attach License Plate??

44K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  TDMax 
#1 ·
Hey all!! I am new here and this is my first post. I am new to owning an ATV as well. I have spent most of my adult life building parts for these things at the machine shop I work at and finally this past winter I was able to talk my wife into buying one! I'm sure I will have a ton of questions but My first one is,
How do you recomend attaching the license plate to your wheeler? I have been looking at it now for a few weeks and the only way I can see is by drilling holes in the plastic or the back rack and either way I think it will look bad. Any suggestions? Here are a couple pics of my new wheeler. Pretty plane jane for now. It is a 2013 Sportsman 500 HO.

See less See more
#2 ·
zip tied mine. welcome to the forum!

Attachments

#3 ·
Welcome aboard! Nice looking machine. Where you from? Looks like you have a bit of snow there.
I did the same as Jordaman.....ziptied it to the back. 4 ties, and it's been there for several years now and I haven't had to replace one yet.

#4 ·
Same here.... had it zip tied to the back of fram above rear diff/tranny. Than added the bumper and zip tied it to the lower bar on that. Shouldn't go anywhere!!

#7 ·
I have an '08 800 H.O. If you look up underneath the rear storage box there is a round bar that runs left to right between the frame. I used conduit fasteners from lowes to run around that bar and mounted my plate to the fastener. I don't have a pic of it but theses are the fasteners. I don't believe it will work with an XP due to where the exhaust sits.

Attachments

#8 ·
I mounted a peice of aluminum angle to the bottom of the tool box in front of the cross tube using a peice of flat aluminum inside and then mounted a small license plate hanger with a built in light. It is nice and secure and is tucked up next to the frame out of the way. I dont have a pic at this time. My local dealer mounts a flat aluminum hanger to the cross tube using self tapping screws, I dont like drilling frames unless absolutly necessary.

#12 ·
Thought so, don't think you had the location in your profile before. Welcome to the forum. Are you a member of the woods and wheels atv club?

My frame is a little different than yours but I put a plate across the frame above the hitch. I think I even have some powder coated plates left if you need.

#13 ·
No not a member of any clubs yet. I just bought my wheeler a littler before Christmas so pretty new to the seen. I just added my location but no, I didn't have it posted before. I didn't know it was an option until now!! LOL got it up now :D. I would like to see how you mounted it so I have a better idea.

#16 ·
This is what I did with ours for our touring machine. I needed to carry more fuel and ordered the paks but went on a ride before they got here so I came up with this.

Vehicle Bumper Auto part Tire Automotive tire

#19 ·
Cool! Thanks for the reply's. I ended up doing the zip tie thing as well. The only thing with that is now my back storage door catches on it a little but it still opens far enough to access. I am kicking around the thought of buying rear and front bumpers so if I get those I will relocate the plate on the rear bumper.

#24 ·
Mines screwed onto the bottom of the exhaust heat shield.

#26 ·
Zip ties are quick and easy, but I prefer a bit more security. I used 2 screws on mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.