Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just signed up today because I am having trouble with my machine. It is a '89 Trail Boss. It has no brake pressure. I replaced all the seals in the cylinder, but it still has no pressure. Numerous attempts at bleeding the lines have failed. When I have the cylinder off and fill it with fluid shouldn't it leak out the hole where the line hooks into it? It doesn't. When I put my finger over the hole there is very little pressure when I activate the lever. Also what I don't understand is that if I blow in the brake line down by the calipers then bubbles come up out of the cylinder so it can't have a blockage, but if I suck on the same line I can't get anything. No fluid, it just creates a strong suction.

I really have no idea what might be causing it. I am thinking about getting a pump to see if I can draw the fluid down, but I don't know if that will work because it seems like it is sealed in the tank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
does fluid come out of the master cylinder with it unhooked from the main line if it does then the hose sounds like it is claped inside somewhere making a 1 way valve in the hose

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use a big animal syringe with a little hose on it at bleeder, or a vacuum pump, get fluid down the line good then pump it up and crack bleeder loose to get pressure
keep the reservoir full

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, I got it working and I thought I would share in case anyone else has problems.

The plunger or cylinder wasn't going to were it should have to let the fluid down into it. I fixed that by putting a couple more washers behind the spring. This wasn't the only problem though. When you put the brake lever on it pushes the plunger in a little and that was preventing the fluid from getting into the brake line as well.

With the brake lever off I opened up a bleeder and filled the tank and waited for the oil to come out and then closed the bleeder. I did that on each brake and then put the lever back on and it now works.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Awesome, good job Supernova! Thanks for sharing, hopefully that can help someone else in the future.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 87 Trail boss. How could you tell that the piston was out of position? It was to close to the lever or to close to the brake line?

Bought the trail boss as a project and away to learn about mechanics. The brakes did not work when I got it and I pulled the piston out because it was all gunked up. Cleaned it, put it back in and it seems to work. Now trying to bleed the breaks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
you still should pressure bleed it don't just put the bleerer back in place tighten bleeder pump it a few times and crack it open while pushing on petal or hand brake close bleeder then release hand brake or petal do this a few times and don't let the master cylinder get empty.
pressureize system and change the fluid every couple years it gets like jello when it gets old.
there is a bleeder at all calipersand 2 on rear

1 - 8 of 8 Posts