Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am new to the group.

I was gifted this Polaris 425 4x4 from a relative as they didn't have the time to mess with it. I don't know what year model it is. I have another ATV (1986 Honda 250 4trax) and I have NEVER seen or worked on a Polaris engine. Looks like a different animal.

I was told that this ATV was parked for 3 years under a pole shed after it was used last. It has a couple of flats.. I pressure washed about 10 lbs. of dust off of it. I took off the plastic gas tank and pressured washed it, inside and out. Pressure washed the air intake container and, what I called, the rubber snooze after I took it off. The carburetor had a lot of white/chalky chunks in it. The throttle was stuck closed. Took the carburetor off and soaked it in gas overnight. I gave it a thorough cleaning. The throttle valve was stuck, but got it working. The weird "gate valve" that slides up/down works well. Pulled the red spark plug connecter and realized it had been previously broken and taped back together and coil wire was off. I screwed the coil wire back on, taped it back together and plugged it back in. Put everything back together. The wheels would not roll even in neutral. When I pulled it off my truck down the ramps, gravity helped and the wheels finally turned freely. The battery was topped with water and charged for several days, but seems to be dead anyways. The pull start works and there seems to be some good compression. I will need a new battery and coil wire/plug. A couple of wires were completely bare and were just wrapped with electrical tape. I cut them and replaced with jumpers, connectors, an shrink-wrap.

I tried jumping it off with my Honda 4trax. I realized that the starter/selanoid would not energize (when starter button was pushed) unless the lights were turned on. Sounds like an electrical issue. Seemed like my Honda didn't have enough juice to get the starter to fully engage. Have to wait for the new battery and coil wire/plug. I tried using the pull start, but it is very difficult to wake up a sleeping ATV that way. Not rotator cuff friendly. Lol

Attached is a picture of the Polaris.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
5,304 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Your question has now been logged into the queue and the next available forum member will answer you shortly

·
Registered
11,903 Posts
Looks pretty good for an antique

Look on the LH lower frame tube in front of the floorboard for the VIN - if not found there, look on the RH frame tube near the shifter box for a W?????? number. We will determine what year model that puppy is.

·
Premium Member
1995 magnum 425 4x4 2019 sportsman 570 2020 sportsman 850
814 Posts
I might also say it on the plastic above the high beam headlight, if it’s not rubbed off. Good looking machine, I’ve got a 95 that looks a lot like it. I’ve had mine apart 25 times in the last 5 months and replaced a lot of parts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks pretty good for an antique

Look on the LH lower frame tube in front of the floorboard for the VIN - if not found there, look on the RH frame tube near the shifter box for a W?????? number. We will determine what year model that puppy is.

Yep, I found it on the front right frame in front of the shifter.

Here are the numbers...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts