Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a newbie with only 5 hrs of ride time on my '16 850 SP, I think I just blew a bunch of money on the wrong tires..I live in NY state where it is bone DRY right now as there has been no rain this year..It is rocky, hard pack, dusty, and LOOSE!..I swapped out the stock Maxxis CST's for Pro Armor Attacks as I wanted the puncture resistance with 8 plys and a deeper tread pattern for better traction..but...Its not what I wanted!... in a word, the performance SUCKS...Not only has the weight of the Pro Armor's killed the acceleration, but the machine feels downright slow..It bounces wildly uncontrollable over everything..the ride is HARD..no longer can I slip the corners using the throttle because of more roll and weight..going up rocky and loose steep inclines is a nightmare as it bounces hard off everything and always looking for traction..I realized before buying that these tires were heavier and probably perform amazing in muddy conditions, but I never expected them to feel so slow and "loose"..If anything, I thought the deeper treads would feel "quicker" accelerating and climbing but its just the opposite..I should have done more research I guess..So heres what I'm thinking and could use some help..Should I find some tires lighter and more suited to this dry terrain?..and save the Pro Armor's for a future muddy season?..My choice has taken the fun out of my riding and I'm a bit bummed out right now..Any help would be appreciated..

·
Registered
217 Posts
Curious about over inflation on the Attacks, what PSI were you running..? Also the weight of the tires really does make a big difference. I went from stock Carlisle to Pit Bull Rockers and really noticed the weight factor on my X2 500. I ran about four PSI on the Rockers...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Here is a little info. about the tires, check out the recommended PSI.

This 8-ply 14” Pro Armor Attack tire features advanced radial construction, aggressive deep tread, and side-bite traction to provide your ride with outstanding grip, handling, and long-lasting durability. These tires are ready to race, haul, and roll with great handling in deep mud trenches, gravel, hard or soft pack trails and sand.

Part #: T261114AT- 26” x 9” x R14 Rear
32 Lbs, 13300 Load, and recommended PSI of 22. Tread Depth: 1”.
***Listing is for REAR tire. Listing is for one tire.***

·
Registered
158 Posts

This 8-ply 14” Pro Armor Attack tire features advanced radial construction, aggressive deep tread, and side-bite traction to provide your ride with outstanding grip, handling, and long-lasting durability. These tires are ready to race, haul, and roll with great handling in deep mud trenches, gravel, hard or soft pack trails and sand.

22 psi sure seems high. I'm running like 7 psi in my executioners.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have Moto Attacks on my 1000 running 3 psi. Much better ride than 7 psi where i started. Also i don't find them to be a great mud tire.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Curious about over inflation on the Attacks, what PSI were you running..? Also the weight of the tires really does make a big difference. I went from stock Carlisle to Pit Bull Rockers and really noticed the weight factor on my X2 500. I ran about four PSI on the Rockers...
7 psi all around, just like the stock CST's..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

That can't be?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have Moto Attacks on my 1000 running 3 psi. Much better ride than 7 psi where i started. Also i don't find them to be a great mud tire.

Really?..3 psi?..Ok, I'll take some air out..should help..But of course it won't help with the weight issue..Do you find the tires heavy?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I don't find them heavy at all,even though they are alot heavier than the stockers. The 1000 turns them easily.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,401 Posts
Something isn't right here. Those tires should perform well for you in the terrain you ride. First start by setting the tire pressure to 5psi in all 4 corners. Lower it one pound at a time to find the optimal psi. In time the side walls will soften and the ride will become more smooth. Those aren't a heavy tire by my standards. 28 up front and 32 in the rear is quite acceptable in my book. Your 850 should spin those with ease. They aren't as light as the OEM so you will notice some power loss. If the power isn't satisfactory you can always pick up a QSC clutch kit from Ryan at RVSPerformance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the power isn't satisfactory you can always pick up a QSC clutch kit from Ryan at RVSPerformance.
Thanks..I'll do what I can..but not happy how the performance went from great to mediocre..Maybe I'll sell it and get a Scrambler.

:eek13:

·
Registered
819 Posts
If the power isn't satisfactory you can always pick up a QSC clutch kit from Ryan at RVSPerformance.
Thanks..I'll do what I can..but not happy how the performance went from great to mediocre..Maybe I'll sell it and get a Scrambler.

:eek13:
You wont be happy wity a scrambler either. The 850 sportsman and scrambler are almost identicle. The 1000 i think only thing different is clutching.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
239 Posts
some people prefer to ride with tire pressure that low. I inflate to specs on the tire. I normally don't ride over 20mph. I didnt check the zillas on my wifes bike after i had them mounted, and 2 rides later one was flat. They were under inflated and sand got inside the rim. In my case we only go mudding, so i like proper inflation in order to keep a good seal, and also prevent the tire from spinning on the rim and breaking the bead.

·
Super Moderator
7,120 Posts
With a 26x14 tire, you should be running it in the 7-9 psi range. Lower pressure and you run the risk of tire/wheel damage due to pinching, although the ride will be much improved at lower pressure. At no time would I ever run anything close to 22 psi in an atv tire. Some tires just ride harsh, regardless of the air pressures. Pitbull Rockers are one of those, Roctanes are another. You need to do your research before paying the price for tires that won't meet your expectations.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the same tires w/ about 7-8psi and they perform great. They are a bit heavier than stock but I didnt notice to much of a loss in performance. When the dealer installed the wheel and tire kit the psi was way up and it handled like crap until I lowered the pressure to what it needs to be.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
22 psi must be the recommended maximum allowable pressure. 22 psi on any atv would beat your brains out

·
Registered
615 Posts
22 psi must be the recommended maximum allowable pressure. 22 psi on any atv would beat your brains out
I couldn't imagine how bad that ride must be. The Dirt Commanders I have on my 570 are set at 7 psi, which is what GBC specs to get the advertised 25" height out of them. The ride is absolutely horrible, similar to what the OP described with rocks and what not. I cannot wait until next spring when I get rid of them!

·
Premium Member
12,401 Posts
The max psi spec's on the side wall are for the max load range of the tire. You could have a tire that has a max weight capacity of say 1,000lbs @20psi. That would allow you to carry 4,000lbs gvwr on your machine but our machines max out at around 1,500 pounds gvwr. So there would never be the need to run a max tire pressure.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts