Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cop: I will start by saying I don't generally support anything that gives ATV riders a bad image.
That said, I have been working 70 hour weeks since Thanksgiving and haven't been on my Polaris since. Hell I hadn't even looked at it. Today (Christmas) was my first day off in 3 weeks. I have been doing 7 days a week.

I was going to my ex wives house for breakfast and decided to ride my 850 Touring on the streets to her place. Its about 3.5 miles from old town to her edge of city acreage.
After breakfast I took her for a short ride. Pulling off her street and heading down a main thorough fare we passed a cop car. We were completely obeying the law for speed and everything. My wife smiled and waved as we passed. He made eye contact the whole time, but never did anything. We were shocked he didn't whip around and pull us over.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun and almost every passing car or pedestrian waved and smiled as we passed. I got the impression that everyone thought it looked like fun too. Again, I fully obeyed the road laws so that may have helped not ruffle feathers of anyone.

I sure wish they were street legal in Colorado! :thinking:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you need to start the ball rolling on going street legal in your state :argue:
I did once about three years ago. Didn't get very far. I posted an ad on craigslist looking for people to join me. I wrote a letter to our city council asking how to get it done. They responded that state police would have to approve it. I contacted them and they said "won't happen since they are not DOT factory approved. I struggled to get my few supporters to get engaged.

I would like to try it again with a lot more enthusiasm myself this time. I know we could do it here in Colorado. I just need to learn more about the process to change laws and find a way to build more support.

I need to get the ATV dealers involved, any riding clubs and put together a strong force that is willing to give up some time to make it happen!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
We still have a ways to go but hopefully making progress in WA state. I'd just be content with no hassle riding on forest service roads anywhere in the state.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
:cop: I will start by saying I don't generally support anything that gives ATV riders a bad image.
That said, I have been working 70 hour weeks since Thanksgiving and haven't been on my Polaris since. Hell I hadn't even looked at it. Today (Christmas) was my first day off in 3 weeks. I have been doing 7 days a week.

I was going to my ex wives house for breakfast and decided to ride my 850 Touring on the streets to her place. Its about 3.5 miles from old town to her edge of city acreage.
After breakfast I took her for a short ride. Pulling off her street and heading down a main thorough fare we passed a cop car. We were completely obeying the law for speed and everything. My wife smiled and waved as we passed. He made eye contact the whole time, but never did anything. We were shocked he didn't whip around and pull us over.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun and almost every passing car or pedestrian waved and smiled as we passed. I got the impression that everyone thought it looked like fun too. Again, I fully obeyed the road laws so that may have helped not ruffle feathers of anyone.

I sure wish they were street legal in Colorado! :thinking:
Is it just me or is it odd that u went to ur EX wife's house?

LOL J/K. I know 2 couples that got married divorced then remarried!

S3

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah... its probably weird compared to most marriage failures. We are still best friends. It didn't end bad or in hate or jealousy. A tough time caused a quick decision that may have been a mistake. We'll see.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I was going to my ex wives house for breakfast.... After breakfast I took her for a short ride.
Did ya now ? Nod nod wink wink.

Ah, reminds me of the days when I was a young lad and riding my dirt bike in places where you weren't supposed to. Sometimes the cops would drive by just as I was coming out of the woods or crossing roads. Nothing is more fun than running from the cops. I think they got as big a kick out of it as we did.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Wow could not imagine not riding on the streets here in Montana. I put half my miles on running around town which we have lots of trails that lead to where you are going (yes I live in a small town of 10000) but it's still riding and that's what I love to do!!!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Are golf carts allowed around neighborhoods in Co? If so, use that as a stepping stone to get quads legalized.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
our town passed ATV's and Golfcarts on city streets, golf carts everybody has to have a seat to sit on, and wheelers 1 passenger unless its a touring and must have dirivers licence and insurance, we agree'd in a heart beat that was 2 years ago no problem

·
Registered
450 Posts
Petition your state representative for your district. If they have enough constituents calling and writing to their offices, they'll craft a law and work to get it passed.

What you're talking about (getting a law passed/changed) is why we as a society employ these dreadful creatures called politicians.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Just work with your city government, town council there is where you start, you will never get a state to go with it but countys and towns
Blue earth was the first county to go with atv's on the roads now the town are starting to think about it

·
Registered
450 Posts
Just work with your city government, town council there is where you start, you will never get a state to go with it but countys and towns
Blue earth was the first county to go with atv's on the roads now the town are starting to think about it
He already tried his city council, they told him the state police would have to approve it. State police in most states won't touch a loosening of regulations/enforcement unless directed to do so. That's why I said to go to the state rep for his district.

Another option would be to write/call the state attorney general and petition them to issue an official opinion on the matter. Law enforcement agencies use the AG's opinion as an enforcement tool. If the AG says they won't prosecute ATV on public roads violations because they interpret they law to mean _________ then law enforcement won't waste their time hasseling you over it because the charge won't be filed by the district attorney (who follows the AG's direction via the official opinion).

I've seen this approach work before, specifically in regards to firearms law. Say your state prohibits open carry in any form, so if your jacket blows open revealing your sidearm on your hip, you're breaking the law. The AG then comes out with an opinion that says such instances are rare and don't constitute a violation. Viola, you stop getting hassled by cops when your jacket blows open in the wind. Same thing here, just in a different context.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I had to look the rules up in my town when I got divorced and had to move into town instead of 6 miles out. Pretty simple. Stay off the county and state highways, and to the extreme right edge of the city streets. Only during daylight hours. All the other state rules apply as well. Funny thing is, I've lived in the area almost 40 years. NEVER seen an ATV in town other than to plow in the winter.

ATV:
A valid driver’s license is required to operate on any city street or right of way, including the ditches and slopes or in crossing roads.

An ATV may not be operated at any time within the right of way of an interstate highway or freeway.

ATV’s can only be operated in the ditch or outside bank or slope of a state highway or county highway.

ATV’s can be operated on the right hand side of city roads.

ATV’s cannot be operated in the right of way from one half hour after sunset to one half hour before sunrise.

A person under twelve is only permitted to operate an ATv on private property. A person under twelve may not operate an ATV to make a direct crossing of a public road right of way or on a public road right of way.

Persons age twelve through fifteen may make a direct crossing of a public right of way if they have a valid ATV safety certificate and they are accompanied by another ATV by a person eighteen years of age or older who holds a valid driver’s license.

A person may not operate an ATV within the city unless he vehicle has been registered with the DNR.

All persons under eighteen must wear a helmet when operating or riding an ATV.

Anyone who is 16 years or younger must successfully complete the ATV safety training course before operating on public lands.

Agricultural Zone Restriction you may NOT drive an ATV within the right of way (ditch) of a state or county road from April 1 to August 1 in the agricultural zone. This does not apply to ATV’s licensed and used for agricultural uses. The agricultural zone as applied to the city of North Branch is anything south of Highway 95.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Some cops don't like to waste their time with ATV riders if they're riding at the speed limit and not doing anything stupid. In hindsight some punk rookie cop who just got a badge might pull you over just to be on a power trip.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
He already tried his city council, they told him the state police would have to approve it. State police in most states won't touch a loosening of regulations/enforcement unless directed to do so. That's why I said to go to the state rep for his district.

Another option would be to write/call the state attorney general and petition them to issue an official opinion on the matter. Law enforcement agencies use the AG's opinion as an enforcement tool. If the AG says they won't prosecute ATV on public roads violations because they interpret they law to mean _________ then law enforcement won't waste their time hasseling you over it because the charge won't be filed by the district attorney (who follows the AG's direction via the official opinion).

I've seen this approach work before, specifically in regards to firearms law. Say your state prohibits open carry in any form, so if your jacket blows open revealing your sidearm on your hip, you're breaking the law. The AG then comes out with an opinion that says such instances are rare and don't constitute a violation. Viola, you stop getting hassled by cops when your jacket blows open in the wind. Same thing here, just in a different context.
that is what we where told from the start so we went to our county sheriff and he said he would go along with it so we went back to the city council and they approved it,
we have a state road going thru our town and we can only cross it at a intersection at a 90 degree angle only that is the only thing the state patrol has to do with it, that is what our county sheriff said

·
Registered
491 Posts
In my opinion atv`s don't belong on the streets. The roads are dangerous enough filled with idiots than cant drive cars properly yet alone atv`s.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
some times that is the only way to get from a to b in Southern Mn. we do not have any grant and aid trails you gotta remember we are in farm land usa our roads are full of tractors and more tractors so a few more atv's don't matter and guess what I can't even remember a ATV accident around here ever

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
and when Sudsie comes to town with the horse and buggy he ties it up by the bar and then the horse knows the way home, gotta remember we live in a small town and love every minute of it

1 - 20 of 29 Posts