Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First oil change straight forward, dump oil, change out filter, fill with 2qts of left over Popo oil! No suprises but that's where it ends...
Second jack up atv after loosing all the lugs, I have a ATV lift I use to use on my old GoldWing, it worked like a charm.
Wheels off, find grease zerks, easy enough, then the one on the driveline that takes a different grease..... I started spinning the driveline around trying to figure out how to get it on the zerk and pump with one hand, then I thought is there a HOLE just below this through the frame, YEP spun it around poped it on and pumped away.... so far so good, then comes part 3.
The front gear case and this thing called the ADC gearcase, it's not hard at all doing the front gear case, but the ADC thingy.... pop off the cover in the front box EASY, then opening the 2 bleeder valves not to hard, but I found I didn't have the fluid in the shop manuel called for so out to the dealer and found out it's the same fluid as the front gearcase, so back home and drip drip drip, its done. Then comes part 4!
The rear gear case and transmission 2 different fluids but I have the Touring model 800 and the pictures in the shop manuel not the best, and I'm none to bright, so I find the "reargear case drain it and start to fill.... then I'm feeling a little queesy, clean hands grab shop manuel and low and behold I don't have a rear gearcase ****, so I drain maybe 50cc of fluid and flush with 50cc of correct fluid, plug it back up and filled the *** ** * *****! So not knowing when to say when, I went for bleeding the brakes, front brakes not to hard, then to the rear, well the front and rear are connected some how by MAGIC, so I started bleeding the rear, and wasn't getting much fluid out, I was doing all this without help you know bleed, tighten, pump and hold down, and repeat! So the next thing I know is I have no brakes to the rear, and poor to the front. Of course all this time my seat is off, and I'm scratching body parts, and looking down and what is this.... another master cylinder reservoir of sorts, and of course it's DRY, so I fill it and hook up my mity-vac brake bleeder, and sucked out at least 5 gals of air at least... Ok not that much but...
It seemed to run and stop, I did save about $300 and I took me maybe 5 hours to do most things about 2-3 times before getting it right, so I'm sure I can cut it down a little next time!:stooges::joint::couch::fingersx::crackhead::shhh::loser::shocked:
Ok Blueline15 hit me with your best shot!:moon:

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
First Service

:) Thanks for the heads up. I'll be doing my first service this fall. Don't trust my dealer any longer! I'm looking forward to doing the whole deal. :)

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
LOL.. GOOD story and GOOD JOB!!!

CW

·
8,864 Posts
Uhhhh....are you sure the "ADC thingy" uses the same fluid as the front differential? My manual says it's different. I don't really know because I don't have ADC but my book calls for Polaris hydraulic fluid while the front diff calls for Demand drive stuff. Is it the same?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea it's the same fluid they looked it up at the Polaris dealer and had none of the other fluid on hand!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
haha very nice! You will notice that each time you service your own machine, you will cut the amount of time it took to do it by 80%. (scientific fact, i did not make that up) pretty soon you will be doing all of this in only :23 seconds.

good job bruce. My hat is off to you for going through the whole machine. :chairfall:

·
Registered
221 Posts
:) Thanks for the heads up. I'll be doing my first service this fall. Don't trust my dealer any longer! I'm looking forward to doing the whole deal. :)
I am in the same boat as you the local dealership around here is a bunch of no good crooks. They told my buddy he had a leak in his radiator and they wanted $600 to replace it. He said he would change it himself, so we tear into it and the radiator was plum full. He called the dumbies and they told my buddy that when they had it running they saw steam coming from the radiator well he had washed the quad an hour before he dropped it off, so no crap it steamed a little as it got warm. We pulled the radiator cleaned all the mud out and had it presure tested and it seams to have fixed the over heating problem. I will not ever take anything there again.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yea it's the same fluid they looked it up at the Polaris dealer and had none of the other fluid on hand!

is the 08 800 HO and the touring different? i just went and got fluids for mine and got 3 diff fluids???

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Dat's too much readin' fer me.:)

·
Registered
94 Posts

is the 08 800 HO and the touring different? i just went and got fluids for mine and got 3 diff fluids???
Did you buy the kit? When I did my first service I'm pretty sure that it came with one that I didn't need in my touring, I think it was the angle drive fluid.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Posts:6,533 Oil changes:1 The 1st time's a killer. The next time will be much quicker. U did great!!

·
Registered
151 Posts

Did you buy the kit? When I did my first service I'm pretty sure that it came with one that I didn't need in my touring, I think it was the angle drive fluid.
no i didnt get the kit, a buddy has a 800 also and he changed his tranny fluid which took 15oz, so i bought the other 2 from dealer. my book called for all 3. im gonna finish mine then give him the other to do his.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Yes your right, you have the rear gearcase and the touring model doesn't have one!:shocked:

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Posts:6,533 Oil changes:1 The 1st time's a killer. The next time will be much quicker. U did great!!
Yea I should have done it end of 2008 and just changed my oil and filter, and then all last year and so far this year I haven't been on it!:shocked: I just hang out here all day long and try to keep my post count up!:flowers1:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts