Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have hit my 25 hr mark to change the oil on my 2013 xp550. i bought it new, this is the first time I've even looked at changing it.

I am having a hard time getting the filter off, do i need to take off something? also is there just one drain or any external tank to drain as well.

then filling, 2 quarts go into the fill/check plug hole or 1q somewhere else?

i have a Raptor 700 as well, and it has two tanks to drain/filter and the filter is easy to remove, i feel like I'm working to hard to change the oil on this machine, tips? i am no noob to tools

·
Registered
679 Posts
This will help. I could not find mine once and used the old "slam a screw driver through it to get it to turn" technique. Works better on cars and trucks though, not much room under a wheeler.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'll second the "filter socket". Remember when putting the new on.... that you, not the Hulk will be taking it off later!!

One crank case drain on an XP machine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ok, so its not me, its just hard to do with out the screw cap that allows for a socket to be used. thanks!

what size is that filter socket? can i get that size at any auto store?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Not sure if the 550 is the same as the 850 but I took my right footwell off and used a strap wrench. Took a few extra minutes but I was removing the right panel to get to the plugs anyway.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I picked up the cup wrench at O'Reilly's. Problem is, different brands of filters take different sizes. So if you are putting the same brand back on, then take the new one to an auto parts store and find the one that fits it. Otherwise you might need one to get the old one off, and a different one for the new one.

Sean

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
16" Channel Locks

Just use a large adjustable channel locks, 16" work great, fit all filters and many nuts/bolts. I have at least 6 auto type caps (3/8") and not one would come close to fitting my 500s filters so i used channel locks, worked great! Came off in seconds....simple. Purolator 14610s have a rough, pebbly surface to help grip when installing/removing that may help you in the future too. Good for you & your machine keeping up with the oil/filter changes!

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
i have hit my 25 hr mark to change the oil on my 2013 xp550. i bought it new, this is the first time I've even looked at changing it.

I am having a hard time getting the filter off, do i need to take off something? also is there just one drain or any external tank to drain as well.

then filling, 2 quarts go into the fill/check plug hole or 1q somewhere else?

i have a Raptor 700 as well, and it has two tanks to drain/filter and the filter is easy to remove, i feel like I'm working to hard to change the oil on this machine, tips? i am no noob to tools
Here's a little tip. The filter cups are the way to go, but if you don't have one, take a radiator hose clamp and tighten it to the filter, then take a bar or screwdriver and tap the screw part til the filter starts to turn and breaks loose, then just unscrew it by hand. It will work, I've done it

·
Registered
4 Posts
3-jaw filter wrench

For most of my vehicles, I've had the best luck removing filters by using this type tool -

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1261&bih=801&q=3-jaw+oil+filter+wrench&oq=3-jaw+oil+filter+wrench&gs_l=img.3...1529.7660.0.8113.23.5.0.18.18.0.109.436.4j1.5.0....0...1ac.1.32.img..17.6.451.KA5sJLGQats

They'll grip filters just as securely as a socket-cup style when tightened, and most of them will handle multiple sizes, so you only need a couple/few to use for all your engine filters. The fit doesn't need to be as exact as the socket type either.

Hope this helps,
John

·
Registered
679 Posts
For most of my vehicles, I've had the best luck removing filters by using this type tool -

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1261&bih=801&q=3-jaw+oil+filter+wrench&oq=3-jaw+oil+filter+wrench&gs_l=img.3...1529.7660.0.8113.23.5.0.18.18.0.109.436.4j1.5.0....0...1ac.1.32.img..17.6.451.KA5sJLGQats

They'll grip filters just as securely as a socket-cup style when tightened, and most of them will handle multiple sizes, so you only need a couple/few to use for all your engine filters. The fit doesn't need to be as exact as the socket type either.

Hope this helps,
John
That is slick, never seen one like that. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Not sure if the 550 is the same as the 850 but I took my right footwell off and used a strap wrench. Took a few extra minutes but I was removing the right panel to get to the plugs anyway.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk
Second bgirard, I have had good luck with the strap wrench But I've asked Santa for a cup wrench.....In "D" size! Merry Christmas :spankme:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm just going to take the new filter to the store and match it up, its the polaris oil change kit so they should be the same filters

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I get my filters at NAPA. I had them grab the one that fit the filter. Easy fix. If I remember right, I had a heck of a time getting that original filter off.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I'm just going to take the new filter to the store and match it up, its the polaris oil change kit so they should be the same filters
The Polaris filters are a slightly oddball size. I'd get an aftermarket such as a Purolator for your machine and match the wrench up to it. That way you wont always have to go to a dealer for the Polaris filter and wal mart has all kinds of filters for atv's

1 - 15 of 15 Posts