Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's sounds like it's running hard and if I hit the gas and let go it ldles down for a second or two then starts running hard what do I do plz help thanks I don't no nothing about a 4 wheeler lol and just a little about a car or truck but hey I fixed my generator tho just need a carb and capacitor lol

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Welcome to the forum! We can certainly try to help you out but you are gonna have to give us a little more to go on....What do you mean by "running hard"? Does it seem to be laboring, trying to stall or the other way, RPM seems to be out of control and reving up? And a little history about the machine. Has it been sitting for a while? If so, how long? What have you done to it so far?

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
When you open the throttle you give it air - not gas - It's the job of the carb to mix the correct amount of fuel with the air to get acceleration when the throttle is opened.

Like stave says, we need to know the details, including type of fuel, octane, ethanol blended or non ethanol, age of the fuel, when it went from running good to running bad etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I'm sorry I'm new to this and it's running the rpms up and it was sitting for a 3 months and had bad gas in it I cleaned the tank out but some gas in it and it was good ran great one owner now me they got it brand new it's only had 3246 hours on it if I'm reading the right thing this is the first 4 wheeler I ever owned it's got good power feels like it did stall on me after running it fast but someone told me to turn the throttle cable and that stopped doing but now the rpms are up in the 1300s and if I go lower it stalls but when it ldles it goes up I'm thinking about replacing the cable and seeing if that helps and sometimes when I go from Park to high it will whine till I come out of high and then go back in to high plzs help cause I really in joy riding it and people tell me that even though it's a little 330 it's a strong 4 wheeler I'm working out a deal on a 1997 Polaris sportsman 500 it needs a belt it runs as sounds good too so my ole lady will have the 330 for now lol thanks for the replys by the way I'll take all the help I can get

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah I just but gas in it do I need to use something with unleaded gas u said something about a mixture

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Stalling at low RPM is not abnormal - the key is to have the idle low enough it will go into gear without creeping and high enough to not stall on deceleration. Since it runs, good gas will clean the carb eventually, but to speed cleaning the carb without pulling it off, get some PJ1 Fuel System/Fuel Injector cleaner or STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner in the silver bottle (not the Ultra in the black bottle), mix it as directed and within 3 tanks of fuel it should be running better.

If you use ethanol blended fuel, use at least 89 octane - better is 91 to 93 octane non-ethanol - if you use ethanol blended fuel, don't put in any more than you will use in 3 weeks, after 3 weeks dump it - don't store ethanol fuel in plastic fuel cans - plastic is porous and the ethanol will soften it and atmospheric air will migrate into the container - the moisture in the air will combine with the ethanol making it heavier than the gasoline and the moisture laden alcohol will separate from the gas causing problems in the carb.

Replacing the cable will not solve an idle problem - the idle speed is set by the throttle stop screw on the carb - all the cable does is open and close the throttle valve on the carb, but improper cable adjustment will cause the throttle safety switch to activate killing the ignition until the switch is deactivated by holding the throttle open a bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts