Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Welcome novascotia...I am really happy with my Polaris - sorry you are not happy with yours...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
polaris 400 sportsman

i bought this bike from a friend. he bought the bike new and he left it set outside two years. the speed odmeter got moister in it and it stopped working. this machine only has 167 kms on it. nobody in the polaris bussiness will do anything for me as in giving me a speed pod for cost price. i feel if polaris stood behind their product someone would help me out.my 4x4 dont work. I am told thats because my speed pod isnt working and its only 400 for a new one. also when i am plowing snow with my bike it will only run for ten minutes. I have to let the bike cool for 15 minutes before it will run again. I can start the bike if i pull the choke but it wont run enough to operate it as soon as i hit the throttle it dies again. I can repeat this as many times as i wish but botton line is if i dont let it cool no go.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
are you upset because a dealer wont get you a speedo at cost? or......

i worked at a dealership for 2.5 years, i dont like hearing that people are unhappy. i tend to want to try to reslove such issues

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
i just looked on the dealer site. since you are in canada i dunno how much the price will differ but your speedo is $318.86 USD. even if you got one at dealer cost, you would still be spending over $200 USD. i am not one to usually side with most dealers but....if you came into my shop, i really wouldnt be able to cut you a deal either, for a few reasons.

1) there is absolute zero returns on items like this to polaris.
2) its not the fault of the speedo. it is the fact that ANY rubber left outside for a length of time will weather-check. it will get hard and crack allowing moisture in. thats why you not getting any help on the price from polaris. its not at the fault of polaris this happened, it is a lack of maintence, so why should the dealer take the hit cost wise?
3) selling an item at cost, the dealer actually loses money. it would take a dealer an average of 20 minutes of labor to pay an employee to order the part, recieve the shippment, inventory and sort the box it came in, and put a name to the part.

its probably not what you wanted to hear, but dealers, especially in this time cannot afford to be selling stuff at cost. they would rather not sell a part then lose money selling it at cost.

with that said, im not going to leave you hanging. if you could find a used or new speedo off of ebay or something like that, it would work for you. all of these models share the same speedo.

2003 SPORTSMAN 400
2003 SPORTSMAN 500HO
2003 SPORTSMAN 600
2003 SPORTSMAN 6X6
2004 SPORTSMAN 6X6
2002 SPORTSMAN 700
2003 SPORTSMAN 700

your speedo OEM PN# is 3280425

i found only one on ebay and its not that great of a price
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pola...747507QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
55 Posts
i would have to say i agree with blueline15 i work at a car dealer and like he said:
1.depending on how much bussiness you do there...you didnt buy the machine there soo...
2.its not really a failure due to the part not working corectly...its a failure due to lack of care on the owns part
3.the dealer can not lose money to just help some guy out... i mean if they did that for everyone how would they make money? and how and why should they do that for you and not me?
just my $.02
hope you find a used one and i bet you will...there are some atv salvage yards out there

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
and about the cooling issue, have you checked that the fan is coming on. it should kick on somewhere around 200-220 degrees. the ECM has a failsafe that if the coolant exceeds a certain temperature it will shut the machine down to keep you from melting the cylinder down

·
Registered
42 Posts
isn't this a 6-7 year old machine that you (orig poster) are not the original owner of?

Unless it has a greater than 6 year warranty that was transferrable, I don't understand the issue or the contention that polaris/dealer would/should cover it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts