Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a Polaris sportsman 500 and have lost my key. How can I get another one? Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
lost key help

if you have your owners manual the key number # might be there if not you will have to call polaris with you vin number or buy a new ignition its plug and play i lost mine was much easy-er to buy new ignition

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
You need the 4 digit code that would have etched on both original keys. If you don't have that number, there is no way to look it up, even from the dealer. So you need to remove your ignition at take it to your dealer. There are about 7 different blanks if I remember right. You just have to try eack key blank to find the one that fits in right. The replacements won't have the 4 digit code on them, but the dealer can look that code up based on the part number of the key blank.

At that point, if you don't have a key to cut from, you'll have to take key and ignition to a locksmith to see if they can cut the key based on the ignition. Dealers won't have the equipment to do this.

Some locksmiths can get the blank keys themselves, some can't and you have to get them from the dealer. They are about $7-$8 a blank.

If this doesn't work for you, you have to replace the whole ignition at about $70-$80.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you have your spare key you can have another made at a dealer. Otherwise, I believe you will need to replace the ignition. At least that is what my 2006 450 manual says.
Good luck.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Easy way would be buy an ignition w/key

E-Bay usually has them, Mine shorted out from previous owners wire job on license plate light and it fried the harness/connector that plugs into the switch so I chopped it off and wired in a universal keyswitch kind of a Pain but works fine.
Jamie in AZ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the replies! I have managed to get it started so I could move it by jumpering pin 1 and 4 on the ignition switch plug. Is there anything wrong with doing this until I get my new key? There are four wires on the key switch and I am just using the two of them, I don't want to run the new battery down or damage anything. Thanks, Austin

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Arizona ATV Riders club recommends looping a whistle lanyard around your handlebar and attaching the key to it. People hand them out at trade shows and for ID badges at conventions. When visiting an ATV-friendly town for lunch, you just unloop it and put it arround your neck for safe-keeping. The lanyard keeps the key with your quad in case you roll it or it jiggles out on a bumpy trail or fording a stream. You don't want to be looking on your hands and knees in the dust for your key 25 miles away from your trailer. I always keep a spare ATV key on my keychain in case I forget to bring the lanyard key to the staging area while trying to rush to meet up with the club. Every year, there is always one guy that forgot his ATV keys at home. :)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I didn't get a key when I got my quad, so I took the switch out and took it to a locksmith. Cost me $12.00 and got 2 spares!( He had the blanks!)

·
Registered
392 Posts
I used to keep a spare on my key chain or in my truck which works great as long as you're the one driving. I realized this would be a problem the last time I rode with my buddy.

To fix this problem I zip tied a spare key to my ATV in an inconspicuous spot. You could probably even put it in your tool kit. I'm sure no one would look there. At least you would always have one on your ATV no matter who drove or wherever you took your ATV.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lots of good ideas for keeping a spare key hidden. I think Reno BadBoy had a good experience. I think I paid more for a couple of blank keys from my Polaris dealer than he paid to have a locksmith do it. The key boots were extra too.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Austin, jumpering 1 and 4 on the harness won't hurt anything. I had an intermittent contact problem with my switch causing my AWD to be iffy. I wired in an unlabelled rocker switch between 1 and 4 and located it on the side of my pod. Still have my ignition switch but if it doesn't make contact I use the switch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Austin, jumpering 1 and 4 on the harness won't hurt anything. I had an intermittent contact problem with my switch causing my AWD to be iffy. I wired in an unlabelled rocker switch between 1 and 4 and located it on the side of my pod. Still have my ignition switch but if it doesn't make contact I use the switch.
Thanks very much everyone!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts