Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the special edition 2012 HO (with the bigger rear tires) but, man do these tires blow in the snow. Is it just me? Please advise what tires to get. :headache:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Pretty much all stock tires suck! We don't get much snow here, so I don't have a good opinion for snow tires...someone will chime in for ya.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Check out the wheel/tire threads. You can go insane trying to pick a wheel/tire that suits your needs. I went with the Grim Reapers because they fit my riding style/terrain. Stock tires pretty much suck the meat!

·
Registered
99 Posts
hey jimbomaz--ran into the same thing this past weekend with 12 plus inches--stock tires suck on my '12 sportsmans 500....i asked the same question and was given the suggestion of the swamp fox plus tires

·
Registered
434 Posts
i have zillas and there amazing in the now and a smooth riding lightweight aggressive tire they still surprise the shit outta me when i go riding

·
Registered
434 Posts
^^^^ that is pretty rough lmao

·
Registered
460 Posts
I don't live in a heavy snow area, but my thought is a radial tire would be better than a bias ply...Because there is a wider contact area on the radial, which means less lbs/Sq inch. Thus less likely to sink down as badly in the snow.
Just my .02 from a physics standpoint.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Kenda Bear Claws work great in the snow. 2wd in places the stockers would have needed 4x4. Zillas are also an awesome choice!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good ideas everyone. Nice video Indy. Now I want to sell mine and get one with power steering.

I just dont remember any of my other quads coming from the factory having such shitty tires. Not sure if it's the plow, but with the weight, it would seem that it would make the front tires "dig" a little more especially when in reverse.

Going in reverse, handlebars cranked all the way, I'm still going straight backwards (and I am pushing the override button).

Thats one of the reasons I bought the Limited cause it had bigger tires. Thought it would help in the crummy Michigan weather...but, nope!!

Guess I'm getting a Christmas present for myself. New tires.

Oh, by the way, I'll have some stock tires from a Polaris 500 for sale shortly if anyone needs some. Only have about 40 miles and 20 hours. Perfect tires for real snowy/muddy conditions. :bs2:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One more thing..sorry. Where is a good place to buy ATV tires. Never bought them before. I've checked the web and there's so many places. Anyone have a favorite?
Also, seems my rear tire size isn't too common. 25x11x12
Thanks

·
Registered
312 Posts
I hear discount tire is good and mudthrowers.com has good prices but the best prices I have found are on ebay. I put on Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on my 500 and it was a big improvement. My buddy put Zilla's on his Grizzly they dig really well.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hear discount tire is good and mudthrowers.com has good prices but the best prices I have found are on ebay. I put on Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on my 500 and it was a big improvement. My buddy put Zilla's on his Grizzly they dig really well.

Thanks. I've tried Discount, they dont have and cant get that size. I sort of want to stick with the stock size.

Kenda and Zilla have been mentioned, I'll check them out as well as the website you said. Thanks again

·
Registered
164 Posts
Rocky mountain atv. Great prices.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The HTR's are a radial and Zillas are a bias ply. I just prefer the strong sidewall of the radial. You may like a softer ride a bias will give you.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Thanks. I've tried Discount, they dont have and cant get that size. I sort of want to stick with the stock size.

Kenda and Zilla have been mentioned, I'll check them out as well as the website you said. Thanks again
Any reason you want to stick to stock size? Move up to 26", get a bit more clearance.. Might as well since you are buying new tires anyways. Bighorn 2.0 has a 26x11 other go with a 26x12. Personally I would get a bit bigger tires if you are already spending the money. I will be upgrading next year hopefully. I haven't had any problems with my stock ones while plowing, but they suck in the deep stuff out on the lake.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
stock tires suck in the snow
I had to deal with 12"+ of snow on top of 6" of slush last year on an ice fishing trip. It was not fun.

By the way, your reg. sticker placement is not legal.
it is a Wisconsin trail permit and the DNR on the trail had no problem with it

·
Registered
1,912 Posts

Any reason you want to stick to stock size? Move up to 26", get a bit more clearance.. Might as well since you are buying new tires anyways. Bighorn 2.0 has a 26x11 other go with a 26x12. Personally I would get a bit bigger tires if you are already spending the money. I will be upgrading next year hopefully. I haven't had any problems with my stock ones while plowing, but they suck in the deep stuff out on the lake.
I don't usually ride it in the winter, we use Snowmobiles and the stock tires are great on the trails, lets you drift in the corners, I Dont' do mud or water just trail riding and gravel roads

1 - 20 of 32 Posts