Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've done this twice already, I set my brake on my 98 sporty, forget about it and then drive off, after a mile or so I finally notice the sporty kinds struggling and finally remember to release the brake, errrrrrrrrrrrrr. I think I'll just carry a pair of chocks from now on!

so the first time I did it, it seemed to make no difference. BUT the second time I did it, it felt like I had zero brakes (from handle) anymore, the next day about 25% came back, but it cannot stop anywhere near as fast as my other quad. So what do you think, no pads, rotors or more? its not making any noises or grinding when braking, just not as effective. they never were as good as the other quads...

·
Registered
567 Posts
I would take them apart and check them. If they look good I would take some 80 grit sand paper and sand the pads to remove any glazeing (remove all shinyness from pads). And also take sand paper or sander to the rotors to deglaze them also. Put everything back together and see how they work.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
At a minimum new pads.... and probably new rotors as they are likely glazed (surface heat treated).

Live and learn!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ this too, if the fluid got to boiling point you will have air in the lines

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, I will most likely do a rebuild next month. Here is an update. When i said brakes were like at 25% i meant both the effectiveness of braking and the handle pulled back pretty far (nearly touching the handlegrip). Well i checked it out again yesterday (full day after my latest screwup) and the handle pullback returned to normal (normal for this quad had been the handle would pull back a max of about 1/3 of an inch) and the braking returned also (it was never as strong as my newer quad but ok) to normal. Not sure why they behaved they way they did hours after the event, hours later there was no braking at all, now its back.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Any one else been an IDIOT. I once forgot that I had chained my atv to a tree. But I was reminded at about 4 ft.
Lol, yep. I always turn off the fuel valve on my kids atvs after we ride. Especially if we have to trailer them somewhere. Next time we ride Im ready to push the damn things off the mountain because it shut off and want run after a few minutes. Where's my sign? Turn the fuel valve on dad#&^%@!!!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Yup, X3 on the fuel shut off, well X3,X4,x5, lol...

·
Registered
96 Posts
lol,plugged my phone in the 12 v port once on a pitstop once and on the next stop noticed the cord hanging underside of machine with nothing attached to it. I have many other stories but ( I AM A CANADIAN IDIOT!! ).

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
lol,plugged my phone in the 12 v port once on a pitstop once and on the next stop noticed the cord hanging underside of machine with nothing attached to it. I have many other stories but ( I AM A CANADIAN IDIOT!! ).
At least ur honest lol

My S3 addiction!!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
OP Update

Ok so here's an update, months later after my original screwup and then when I did it again (locking the hand brake and driving for miles with it on - idiot!).

Since the 2nd time I did this, for a while the brakes were very soft, squishy, for a brief time they were non existent, you'd pull the handle all the way to the bar and nothing, so had to be really careful, but since I'm usually alone there's no one to collide with at least.

I keep the quads at a deer/hog lease so only 'visit' them on weekends. A few weekends went by and the brakes would still feel pretty soft, would pull at least to half way to the bar from the original position and even then the braking effort was very weak, probably taking 3-4 times the distance it should to stop.

Now keep in mind I haven't done jack to fix them, figured I'd get to it later this summer. The last 3 weekends, as crazy as it may seem the brakes have returned to their original working order, the brake handle has lots of pressure, only pulling it 1/4" engages the brakes, no squeels, no grinding, no pulsing, just brakes. Now they never were great brakes just brakes - nothing like the ones on my '10 -those stop on a dime, these more like a silver dollar!

Anyone just throwing the thought out there and wondering if anyone knows why this would be? I mean I'm happy they work, just don't know why they went thru that "phase" of not working at all or very well? Only thing I can think of is the weather, here in central Texas it is now regularly getting into the 90s, errrrr. Thanks...

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs water). It'll do that from humidity in the air. Water lowers the boiling point of the brake fluid drastically. This is why it's recommended that it be changed every two years or so.
The boiled water and fluid acted like air in the system and it has finally worked its way up to the master cylinder???
I would flush the old brake fluid out of the system with fresh stuff if you can. Sanding the rotors and pads with 220 grit to break any glazing wouldn't be a terrible idea either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts