Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drag raced an 1000 outie this past weekend. He had a pipe, controller, tires and 150 lbs less than my stock 850 touring. He got an X in the win column but I had him out of the hole and he only got me by 1 length. Still a win but like I said, I can hold my head up.

For what it is worth, he only beat the new scrammy by 2 feet in the same distance. The srammy wasn't even broke in yet so it might loosen up.

Now I think I want a pipe and know nothing about them.
I need some suggestions about pipes and controlers.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I can get you a qsc pipe , clutch kit, and am also a dealer for Dobeck Performance now as well so I can set you up with a fuel controller too. That will teach that canned ham a lesson. But I bet just a clutch kit and some more miles on it will do the job.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Do you have a vid?

The reason I ask, is because usually an outlander 1k tstock, takes an 850xp (non touring) by a couple lengths.

So it seems weird that your touring, which is way heavier, kept up better to one with a few mods.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
a slip on pipe will do nothing for you except give you a different sound. Might be able to get somewhere if you can find a full exhaust, hi flow air filter, and a tuner

I find it hard to believe a 1k outy only had it by a small amount...if so, you must have got a great start (half the battle right there!) and launched perfectly. How far did you run him?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no idea how far we went, maybe a foot ball field..

I noticed when he ran the scrammy that both of them had lots of slipage at take off. Remember he only got the scrammy by 2'. (which is still a win I know)

This guy likes mud and has mud tires on. Nothing extremely radical. ITPs. If they are bigger in dia they would take more power to spin them at top end.

As far as the outie being lighter. It was definately lighter on sunday. I had my tools on and I have the guy by 100 to 120 lbs.

Maybe my extra weight is how I got the better traction on take off. BTW I have stock tires and they are more than half gone.

Regardless I think the outie did poorly since it is 150 cc bigger and probably 4 or $5000.00 more money. He has over $2000.00 in mods plus the initial cost is way higher.

I am very happy with the torque and speed from my touring. But if a pipe and controller would get me past him that might be worth it.

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
A pipe and controller will do nothing if you can't set it up properly. And the only way to do that is on a dyno. My bud and I have the exact same bike. 2012 Outlander 1000XT. He has a HMF slip on and controller, mine is stock. Mine is way easier on fuel AND faster!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
That's why I said that just a clutch kit will likely get the gains he's looking for. I'd try that before I go dropping $650+ on exhaust and a controller.

·
Registered
479 Posts
A lot of people just stomp on the throttle thinking that they will get the most out of it when in reality you're just slipping the belt and losing a lot of time while the clutch properly engages. I have drag raced a couple of my friends with Outlanders and I take on the hole shot and then they can reel me in but by the time that happens it's too late (100 yard dash) then we swapped machines and I slaughtered them from start to finish. If you are drag racing WOT will just put unnecessary stress on the belt.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Nobody ever mentions it with the mud craze these days but opening up the airbox works magic on the 850s (along with extra fuel). You dont need a dyno for the Dobeck basic fuel box. Its very simple to use. It with a simple wideband and some test runs would do just fine.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This site is great.

I don't want to drop $700.00.

I kind of don't understand how the "clutch Kit" will help me go faster or quicker.

Will some one please explain how this happens.

Does a kit make it grab so quick that i won't be able to craw up rocks if needed?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
A properly designed clutch kit for your riding style and needs will actually perform better than the stock clutching. You will actually get better low speed control for the tight technical stuff and rocks, along with getting more power to the ground at lower rpm. This will also translate into being quicker off the line giving you lower ET's when racing or coming out of a corner on the trail and punching it. The qsc kits are all custom assembled for your specific needs, not just a canned kit like most others. For what you have mentioned here you'd be liking at $229 shipped in the states. $10 more to Canada.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Buy a bigger outty, then you will be able to pass them.

A pipe is not going to help you, more powbetblock tv myths

Like posted above, invest in clutching customed to your style.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I have a super hard time believing that a stock touring would even come close to holding up to a outty 1000. Especially with the outty modded out. Good luck in your venture though.
I only say this because I own a outty 800xt 2008 and it walks all over my new 850xp.
People that don't believe me don't have to that's what's great about being American we have the right to disagree but facts are facts.
Hell Ive even done a few atv pulls and my outty ties or beats the 850xp's all day long.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Cubby. I agree a outty 1000 tuned will smoke a stock 850 xp. Unless outty rider hasnt got balls to let her rip.

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
If the Outty had a pipe and tuner that was not set up properly the 850 could very well walk the 1000. If you can't tune it properly you won't get the potential out of the pipe and may even make less HP! The base #s that come with the boxes are just that, starting points.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Cubby. I agree a outty 1000 tuned will smoke a stock 850 xp. Unless outty rider hasnt got balls to let her rip.
A stock 1000 outty should smoke a stock 850 xp.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.
While I do agree, it doesn't beat it as bad as most would think. On the stock vs stock.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts