Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys, I have an issue. Heres what happened. I hit the key and started right up after sitting for a couple weeks in 30 degree temps. the second pass down the driveway the winch wouldn't lift the plow and the headlights went dim. turned the headlights off and the winch would work. noticed when I revved it the dash would turn off and come back on and reset or a system check and the headlights would dim. pulled it back in the garage turned it off by the key, now will not do anything when turning the key no lights or sounds. I can still pull start, but with the same issues.... PLEASE HELP!!! cuz its snowing again!!!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Hey kris, it helps to know what your riding but from what your describing, I would lean toward a bad battery or a loose connection at the battery. Buddy

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Agreed. sounds like a week battery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry guys, 03 sportsman 500 h.o., pulling 12.5v on the batt. I have yet to load test it. I thought the same thing weak batt., poor connection, or something along those lines however, would that cause the headlights to dim and dash turning off and reseting?

·
Registered
526 Posts
A weak battery.

The alternator is not going to lift a plow I expect by itself plus a weak battery is sucking up a lot of the alternator current at the same time.

Computerized machines are programmed to shut down if the voltage goes below a preset min.

You have a winch so load test it yourself. Shut off the engine and while taking the voltage reading at the battery posts have someone winch up the plow and report the start and voltage just before completing the full lift up. With out a winch one can do the same thing by removing the plug wires and grinding the starter for 15 seconds.

A lithium battery would be nice when plowing in temps below 70F. :) If it is freezing out you have 1/2 of the battery amperage available on a nice 80F day.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
in the past, the batt. would operate the winch and plow without any labor with the engine off. The machine will not start and there is no pwr to anything with the key in the on position, I can pull start it and I have 12.5v @ idle monitored while using winch and plow and had very min. draw at the batt. the lowest I found was 12.26v under normal operation, did drop a touch lwr when I over tightened the winch

·
Registered
377 Posts
Definitely either a bad battery or bad connections.
Yes, those symptoms would fit that problem.

Disconnect the battery, scrub the terminals and the cables with a wire brush.
Reinstall the battery. If the problem persists, take the battery to a battery shop, and they can load test it for you.

It's an 03 machine. Probably not the original battery - if it is, that thing's way past replacement date. If it's older than 3 years, replace it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Charge the battery for 24 hours set on a 2 amp setting with a manual charger and see how it performs. Sounds like a weak battery working in a cold environment. I know the alternator output of a Magnum (2002) is only 250 watts and is why keeping them on a battery tender is recommended. Maybe the new stuff has more hump.

Scoundrel post would be good to act on.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
What does your meter read when connected to the battery and the engine running 3000 rpm?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will service my batt. and terms to rule it out. I will keep you all posted. keep your thinking caps on!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just remembered, just prior to this happening, the machine pulled very hard to the left, to the point I had to back up to straighten it out and proceed, like one hub didn't engage

·
Registered
806 Posts
From what you've describe you have a battery that is too low on amps and possibly has a shorted cell. It can show full voltage and be bad. Take it to a parts store or auto shop and have it load tested.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I agree with fishhooker. It is likely a bad cell in the battery. It will work well at one time then nothing or minimal the next. It will also read 12volts but wont push any amperage.

The pulling to the left really hard could also be a symptom of the battery as it sounds like one of your hubs is locking. You should change the fluids in the hub. For future reference you can put in reverse and it should unlock the hub.

Also you can pull start it because the starter pulls too much amperage from the battery so the computer wont let the quad start.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Battery is shot, should be closer to 14v while running as long as you have no accessories on. Put the meter on the battery and hit the winch it will probably drop way down.

You can try to charge the battery slowly, it may work for awhile but save your self the hassle of getting cough in a snow storm and dies completely.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I agree with duck9191, if the engine is running and the alternator is working correctly, the reading at the battery should be around 14v. I

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im not sure of the cca on my battery but it failed at 100 amps that's the lowest my load tester goes, so the battery is bad. however I removed the battery and hooked up a jump pack and had the same results with out the battery installed, did it again with the battery installed and I still have the same problem. any other ideas?

·
Registered
526 Posts
how many seconds did it take to hit the fail Zone?
the load test should fail when using a car size battery tester.
just load test with the boat meter across the battery terminals for your hitting the starter.
please post the lowest voltage reading you get the starter is turning.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts