Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a couple of hours I am due to meet a guy selling a 1996 scrambler 400 4 x 4. It looks to be in good condition and comes with a plow. I spoke with the guy through text and on the phone and he assures me that the quad runs great.

I have to drive 1.5 hours to meet him and I want to know exactly what to look out for when reviewing this quad.

Last night I read several reviews and watched some YouTube videos and the scrambler seems to be an okay machine for the type of riding I need to do. I want to be able to plow my driveway, ride some trails and open fields. I'm not a Ricky racer, so I don't need the fastest or best handling four wheeler. Reliability is more important to me than anything.

I'm honestly leery on purchasing this scrambler because it is a two-stroke. I understand the benefits of two-stroke, but to me they always seemed hard to keep running properly compared to four strokes.

So what are all your thoughts? He is selling me this quad for $1300. He originally had it listed at $2000. $1300 is book value. Should I jump on it or save my money?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
We have a 2000 and love it. I would check air box and I would make sure AWD works. I am not sure how to check AWD short of jacking it up off the ground or mudding it. Make sure it shifts properly without difficulty and doesn't jump out of gear. Make sure there is no play in rear axle or front end.

·
Registered
286 Posts
In a couple of hours I am due to meet a guy selling a 1996 scrambler 400 4 x 4. It looks to be in good condition and comes with a plow. I spoke with the guy through text and on the phone and he assures me that the quad runs great.

I have to drive 1.5 hours to meet him and I want to know exactly what to look out for when reviewing this quad.

Last night I read several reviews and watched some YouTube videos and the scrambler seems to be an okay machine for the type of riding I need to do. I want to be able to plow my driveway, ride some trails and open fields. I'm not a Ricky racer, so I don't need the fastest or best handling four wheeler. Reliability is more important to me than anything.

I'm honestly leery on purchasing this scrambler because it is a two-stroke. I understand the benefits of two-stroke, but to me they always seemed hard to keep running properly compared to four strokes.

So what are all your thoughts? He is selling me this quad for $1300. He originally had it listed at $2000. $1300 is book value. Should I jump on it or save my money?
I would want to know if he plowed with it for 18 years, and if the plow fits and works. If you don't mind the two stroke, you really cant get hurt for that price . When you go test it, ride it, then have him hook up the plow and operate it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts