Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bigger guy, 6' & 230# and I thought it a little cramped. BUT in fairness, its not really a machine built for me. Its a starter machine, for women and smaller adults or larger kids getting into the sport.

BUT I LOVE the concept and I could be pretty comfortable riding in it.

CW

·
Registered
164 Posts
I test road one yesterday. For everyone who says the motor is too small, I say try it first. That little thing is spunky! It's not a rocket, but it's got more than enough power. Has a nice LOW, low range too! The biggest suprise to me is how well balanced it was. Honestly, it is one of the best handling ATVs I've ridden. I am seriously thinking about getting my wife one!

·
Registered
70 Posts
saw one at the dealer while picking up my 800 the other day ... deff something different. i dont know why it dosent put out the same hp that the 570 atv does though

·
Registered
378 Posts
Was in the headquarters a couple of weeks ago and sat in the one on the rotator platform. I'm 6'4" and felt a bit cramped in it but was more worried about the head room with all the extras in it. This thing had a stereo and other gizmos. The OP's pics don't have that so height wont be an issue. Still, the thing looks really cool and was thinking the same as a starter machine. Would be great for women and teens or anyone, just my observation. BTW, that's the 1000 SxS in the background, now that's huge!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
what's the wife think of it though?

·
Registered
576 Posts
My girlfriend really wants to try one, our next machine is either an Ace or another 550 X2 or Touring.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what's the wife think of it though?
That's actually my buddies wife. :veryhappy: But she WANTS IT!!!

My wife would too, they only had the one and not test driving it. They should have a couple next week so we will go back.

YES, I too was surprised to see a 325CC in it and not the 570, BUT I guess that fits with the entry level application on the machine. Also spot on wassup!! Its got 32HP..same as the older 500 sportsmans, so power is there for sure!

CW

·
Registered
815 Posts
saw one at the dealer while picking up my 800 the other day ... deff something different. i dont know why it dosent put out the same hp that the 570 atv does though
It's not the same motor. This only has a 330cc prostar motor

·
Registered
222 Posts
It has the same HP but what about the torque. All that is ever published is the HP, while the torque is also very important.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am yet to see torque ratings on any atv. Having road the ACE I can tell you it has really good off the line torque, and it seemed to me to have a lower low range than other Polaris ATVs. I think most are going to be suprised at how much power this little motor has. I was on my test ride

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
I think I could have a blast in one of those. But at 6'2" 230lbs I may be cramped like others said. But who cares when you're having fun!

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I think I could have a blast in one of those. But at 6'2" 230lbs I may be cramped like others said. But who cares when you're having fun!
that is highly dependent upon how cramped you are. to cramped and you're not having fun anymore.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Here's a thought that just popped into my head, with the new Ace with it's redesigned/relocated engine that has Small CC's but large HP, Do any of you think we might see a reintroduction to a midsized framed Sportsman?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
That would be great I think. Does anyone even make a mid size 4x4?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Here's a thought that just popped into my head, with the new Ace with it's redesigned/relocated engine that has Small CC's but large HP, Do any of you think we might see a reintroduction to a midsized framed Sportsman?
I think that would be the friggin bomb ! Midsize frames get through the woods so much easier/quicker it's ridiculous. It would weigh less too.

I'll take one with an 850 or 1000 engine. Chromoly frame, PS .....

There's a small size difference between my Outlaw and my AC DVX 300s. The DVX is a lot easier to get through the woods quickly. A lot.

A mid size big bore would be an absolute blast, a real game changer. That mother would shred!

·
Registered
123 Posts
It should be a good seller....not for me though dont think.

One of my first machines was a Yamaha 200E shaft drive (three wheeler)...brand new out the door $999. Not too many years after (in the 80's) that bought a brand new Banshee for around $4000. It sure is hard to accept some of these prices today on these machines? Especially some of these side x sides are more than a good used truck!

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Wasn't saying a big bore. The Ace has a small cc engine that puts out good HP. My Hawkeye only has like 17 hp and the Ace has what? 32? I can only imagine how nice it would be to have more HP for when I'm out of the woods and on open logging roads. As it is right now the Hawkeye gets through the woods and tight trails plenty fast. But it leaves a bit to be desired when you've got room to move. which I think was it's downfall. having more HP for the higher speeds would be a nice change.

I get the point of the big bores and the point that was the Hawkeye. They are for different subsets of riders. one being the advanced, high paced, high risk group. The other being the beginner, low risk, low speed group. But I think that the Midsize frame was a good spot that wasn't properly exploited. The Hawkeye/sportsman 400 is HIGHLY sought after. as it gives you plenty of power but still maintains the midsized frame. I think putting the Ace's engine in a midsized frame would be a game winner. The HP of a 500 in a midsized frame. AWESOME!

Doubt you'd be able to squeeze EPS into a Midsized frame It's awfully tight in there. and honestly, it wouldn't be needed. My wife, all 4'10.5" of her can ride the Hawkeye without a problem. and I'd bet my 11 yr old step son would do ok too, he's just to scurd to try.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
lol, I'll buy a fullsized 570. I think a big bore in a midsized frame would be a rocket ship with a trajectory that's going to put people right into a tree. I'm sure you could learn to use it properly, but from an business standpoint, the liability of a machine like that would be pretty high. not to mention the mid-sized frames don't fit everyone (myself included) so the market is limited. Especially with EPS available on many models that make full size machines easily maneuvered by smaller framed people.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts