Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sportsman 850 and wanted to check out the new ACE with the idea of replacing my Sportsman. The dealer in Elk Grove had an ACE floor model and I had the opportunity to sit in it and talk with the manager about it.

There were two problems that will keep me from buying and ACE until they come out with some changes.

First problem is leg room. I'm 6'2" with long legs, and the ACE just doesn't have enough leg room for me. Even with the steering wheel up in the highest position my knees bump against it, and I felt like a pretzel sitting in it.

Second, it does not have engine braking like a Sportsman. My Sportsman 800 didn't have engine braking and I found it to be a real disadvantage when up in the mountains. My Sportsman 850 has great engine braking and makes very steep descents easy and safe. I don't like riding the brake when making steep descents.

My guess is that Polaris will rectify both of these problems in the next year or so, and when they do I'll be trading in my Sportsman for an ACE.

·
Registered
482 Posts
They are meant for kids and women, that's why they have a tiny engine. Why would you want that? It's a huge advantage to be up high so you can pick your line and see around you better. I completely don't get the whole SxS thing either and I hate when they come on rides with us and slow us down when the trail gets narrow.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've had several Sportsman's over the years in different displacements with the smallest being 500. I love the ACE but wish you could get it with the new Prostar 570 engine. I like the safety of the roll cage and the driving position but it's not any wider than a regular Sportsman so no issues trail riding like you have with a Side by Side.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've had several Sportsman's over the years in different displacements with the smallest being 500. I love the ACE but wish you could get it with the new Prostar 570 engine. I like the safety of the roll cage and the driving position but it's not any wider than a regular Sportsman so no issues trail riding like you have with a Side by Side.
I don't put that in a SxS category, it's made to be the same size at a standard ATV. I think it's a great idea, just not for me. Don't you miss being up high so you can point your tires around the rocks and avoid flat tires?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Never heard of the Ace before so I checked out the Polaris site.
I like the idea. When my kids and wife use my 800 sportsman I'm always a little nervous that they may flip it and get hurt.
If they put a bigger motor in it I may be interested.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My guess is that Polaris just put this out to see if there would be any interest. They seem to be selling fairly well, so Polaris will probably go with a larger engine and compression braking on the next iteration.

I can see advantages in an enclosed cockpit and the capability of carrying supplies like you can on a side by side. And having a cover over my head would have been welcome on many of the very hot, sunny rides that I've been on.

It will be interesting to see how this develops.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Pretty sure anyone going from an 850 to an Ace will be utterly disappointed.
Doubtful as most people doing that will have done some homework and know that its lacking in the power department. More then likely they would be crossing over to the ACE for different reasons that would not be power related.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the information I was given is correct, the engine in the ACE is the same engine that was/is used in the Sportsman 500. Until last summer one of my friends had a Sportsman 500 and had no problem going everywhere we went with our 800's and 850's. We don't do mud bogging or sand dunes, but climb some pretty impressive trails in the Sierra Nevada Mountains and when we go to the ATV jamboree in Richfield, UT. So I don't think lack of power will be a problem with the ACE.

·
Registered
482 Posts
It's not about NEED, it's about WANT. I would WANT crazy power.

·
Registered
311 Posts
When I originally got the email from Polaris I was fairly excited to see this new innovation but became very disappointed with the motor size, I do understand that this is only the first year and they are most likely testing the field to see what the interest is with this product. I was also disappointed with the color choice, being only one that is, I don't like white lol. I think the top of the roll cage needs to be widened a little bit to make the roof option worthwhile, just look a little to narrow for me.

I definately see Polaris next year expanding on this line and adding a larger motor option and different color schemes. Can't wait to see a couple of these out on the trails and hear from the drivers what they think.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Has anyone heard if PoPo is going to release a more "manly" ace??
By that I mean more power and better engine breaking, with decent leg-room???.....................I like the ace BUT I would need or want more power etc.....................

·
Registered
152 Posts
I really don't see how Polaris can make a more many ace, possibly the 570 as I am not familar with it but no way we ever see an 850 Ace, I mean anyone who has seen an 850 with the plastic off can see that there are some severe space limitations that would make it damn near impossible.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I sat in one yesterday and fit fine at 5'9" and 170. Looking underneath I think a 570 would fit but idk if they could ever get a twin in that chassis

·
Registered
84 Posts
Has anyone heard if PoPo is going to release a more "manly" ace??
By that I mean more power and better engine breaking, with decent leg-room???.....................I like the ace BUT I would need or want more power etc.....................
Being 6'2" with long legs I sure as hell won't fit nicely ........ Hell even my highlander I put the seat all the way back and I feel O.K. not great but O.K. !!

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I'm thinking that the ACE may become the little brother to the single seater big bore version. slightly larger/longer to accommodate larger riders/engines. OR they'll make engines with more power to fit. with small ergo changes to allow for taller riders. Maybe call it the Polaris RACE. lol. or just an ACE XL.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I looked at the videos and seem to like it. For the slower older rider or out on the trap line or upland game hunting I think it would work nice. I ran an Explorer 250 two stroke 4x4 for 13 years on the trapline in the fall and early winter pulling a small trailer and had no issues besides lacking power. The low range is great. I believe the in the video they said it had a low range?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think an ace with a big motor in it woul be really dangerous and not worth polaris time/money due to lawsuits an what not.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts