Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's only 12 more HP gentlemen. No need to trade in your 13 scramblers and lose your shirt on the deal. Throw some cold water over your faces and calm down.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Lol!!

·
Registered
668 Posts
X2 on not needing to trade to a 1000. My Scrambler 850 is more than I need anyway. If anything I should trade to a 550. Still like riding, just not so fast anymore. lol

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
You kind of sound like our gov't, worrying what other people do with what is theirs.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Lol. That's funny. But it is almost a 20% hp gain. Lots of guys spend way more than the hit from an 850-1000 trying to get that much of a gain out of another machine.

·
Premium Member
12,408 Posts
yeah im gonna have to disagree with the OP on this one for sure. and lol at chronix79 with u on that. first of all i personally find it completely ironic when the discussion of money enters the conversation on toys. i am not of this mind set but i ride with some that are and what they want is the newest and baddest toy on the block and god bless cause thats the american way.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Lol. That's funny. But it is almost a 20% hp gain. Lots of guys spend way more than the hit from an 850-1000 trying to get that much of a gain out of another machine.
Well yea, 15.6 % more HP.... a very sizable increase and sure to be quite noticeable. In the ATV Rider video the front wheels come right up from a stop.

You're right, lots of guys spend tons of money trying to get more HP and they would love to get that kind of HP increase.

I bet they sell very well......maybe even hard to get ?

·
Registered
944 Posts
True. In that comparison it's 27 % more HP !

Anyway, you just get the 1000's clutch kit figured out. :veryhappy:

Popo will have the 1000 Sporty out soon. Maybe they'll wait until Can Am ups their HP then Popo will know what it is they have to top.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I can just imagine the HP nuts, going crazy for the 1k.

For me, I almost feel like my 850 is a tad more than what I need. Next machine may be a 650 ish cc. Maybe a 650 xp?

They sell 10x more sportys than scramblers, so I'm not sure why Polaris chose to release the 1k on the scrambler. Even the guys on the Can Am forum thought Polaris was going to bring out a 570 Scrammie to compete with the 500 gade.

·
Registered
944 Posts
They sell 10x more sportys than scramblers, so I'm not sure why Polaris chose to release the 1k on the scrambler. .
I was thinking about that. " MAYBE " they want to trial run it on the Scrammy in limited numbers before they release it en masse in the Sporty.

This way, they get to see...
1) how well it sells
2) if there's any issues before they put it in a Sporty, which is their bread and butter darling and on which their reputation depends.

One thing for sure Scrammy guys will ride them hard and provide a great test basis. With 15% more HP than an 850, all that HP spinning the wheels regularly, snapping up the front end, will the axles be breaking ? All that power, if the wheels catch hard while spinning fast or the stress of it repeatedly happening over time, it may be a real test of drivetrain strength.

Not to take anything away from the lucky guys who are buying them. If I hadn't bought a boat and a tow vehicle last summer I'ld be buying me a Scrammy 1000 for sure right now. Fact is, I'm still plotting to find a way.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Good points Fly! I wonder if they beefed up more than listed to help handle the extra power (axles, drivetrain, cooling, ect)? I definitely agree this would make sense for Polaris to give the 1000 a trial run before incorporating into the Sportsman. There is a lot more cargo weight to consider with the sportsman, the scrammy video says its impossible to keep the front end down with full throttle....image what a Sportsman 1000 would be like if you overload the back end.

Or maybe Polaris just wants to wait and see what CanAm counters with, then one up it and call it a 1000 H.O.

My plan is to really get on the 1000 before the warranty is up, it is not a new engine so to speak but for sure will put more stress on the machine. Hopefully by the time the standard warranty is up, we will all know how everything holds up!

·
Registered
388 Posts
I wonder how much more torque the 1000 will have over an 850?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I bought my first quad ('90 250 TB) because Polaris came out with the 350 liquid cooled. My cousin just HAD to have that bigger engine. Worked out good for me, I got a barely used quad for a steal, and he got his bigger/badder 350. :cowboy:

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
To be honest, i am not totally sold on the 850 engine. Nevermind boring/stroking it out.

But time will tell.

·
Registered
455 Posts
And those same guys will be spending more to get a little extra from the 1000 too, it's called; the drive to always wanting to be better or exceed

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's not going to be much faster than the 850 guys. The 850 has 77hp and the 1000 has 88ish hp. 10-12 extra hp at the motor, is more like 5-6 hp at the wheels. As far as mods go l, I spent 650 on a nitrous kit for my 850, and gained 25hp to the wheels. That's a great cost vs hp increase there. Thing is crazy fast on the button.

·
Registered
944 Posts
It's not going to be much faster than the 850 guys. The 850 has 77hp and the 1000 has 88ish hp. 10-12 extra hp at the motor, is more like 5-6 hp at the wheels. As far as mods go l, I spent 650 on a nitrous kit for my 850, and gained 25hp to the wheels. That's a great cost vs hp increase there. Thing is crazy fast on the button.
Really? That's apples to oranges. I.E. You're comparing the 1000's supposed rear wheel HP to the 850's crank HP.

That's fuzzy math hombre. :werd:

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you think the 1000 is putting out 88-89 hp to the wheels, your sadly mistaking. That's at the motor, and the 850 had 77ish at the motor. All I'm saying is that any hp numbers companies claim at the motor, can be almost cut in half by the time the power gets to the wheels. The only way I'd buy a 1000, is if it produced 100 hp or better

1 - 20 of 70 Posts