Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yup I bought a new house on the lake. The very first thing I moved in to the new lake house was my ice fishing gear. Always concerned about taking the ATV out on the ice without doing tire research first. The biggest problem is geting on the ice. The snow at the shoreline will be soft. We usually use the boat ramp for access. Have a new 2023 sled on order but may have to cancel.
Sleds are pretty much getting passe up here now considering how short the actual season is for them.
Unless you really need to go fast and/or use trail systems to get to where you need to go that exempt ATVs from using them - save 12 or more thousand $$'s and buy a set of Camso ATV tracks and with the floatation and low ground pressure that track systems provide - take your ATV places where sleds can only dream of accessing - while making it truly a year-round vehicle.
I have a set and my son who loves sleds tried them out couldn't believe the places he could go with them on my bike, where he said he would never dare try and take a regular sled!
He is now buying his own set to fit up to his 850 as I write this.
Many up here in Canada have figured it out and have cancelled sled orders due to over 12 month waiting lists (or more) and have tried and gone to track systems to make ATVing a seasonal-use thing of the past.
Look into them - you may be happy you did!

Sky Wheel Snow Tire Vehicle
Snow Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
158 Posts
I call total BS, no way in hell a quad w/ trax can go more places than a sled in snow....smfh
I get that you don't agree - but have you even tried a quad on tracks - I'm betting not - especially in 3 feet of powder snow! All of the studs and power won't get you anywhere unless it happens to be a Mountain King-type or long paddle wide track/specialty machine and they don't pull a trailer or carry gear or passengers in that sort of stuff either!
AND besides - you let's say have an $18,000 sled and comparably priced ATV with tracks - wouldn't you like to use that investment 12 months of the year verses having to park it for 8 or more months instead?
Well big surprise - the bike with tracks can be used for the full 12 months of any year, weather notwithstanding with or without the tracks mounted up - verses maybe only getting only 4 - 4.5 months of usage out of a sled (at the very most - even up here in Northern Ontario) before you have to put it up on blocks for Spring, Summer, and Fall, and watch it drop in value just sitting there unusable!
Buy - Hey each to their own!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Try this on a quad.

D
I believe I did mention 'specialty' sleds didn't I?
Does that look like one you would need or would want to buy for ice fishing?
I have a friend who set an Ontario record for distance on a local lake near here - in July (it's a 'specialty version too as you might guess :) ) he sits on a piece of styrofoam and a 30' length of rope so if it quits on him he can locate it and get it pulled up! It too has a paddle track and a lot of mods!
Many of those types as you show have a seat (if at all) barely large enough for the rider since they need to stand up most of the time to steer them.
Many of them have paddle tracks so deep and long that are often unusable on normal snow conditions or regular trails.
Try going out on lakes with little snow without scratchers and see how well the hyfax holds out with no lubrication.

These as posted don't look like 'specialty' machines - - just regular ATVs with tracks - carriers, racks, seats, and equipped to go anywhere including fishing as I mentioned - or even up a muddy logging roads or creek beds with 2 foot deep muddy water - or 3 foot deep snow - as the case may be!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYSNU5e2I6c

Once again 'each to their own' - but I do know I'd like to use any machine I put my hard earned $$'s down on, for 12 months of the year and not have to park it for most of any given year - or have to trailer it all of the time to find snow deep enough to make it usable or practical - but I guess that's just me maybe!

But I digress - this IS after all an ATV Forum and in reference to a discussion about ice fishing wasn't it??

·
Registered
158 Posts
Realized - correct, yes it was, ATV's and ice fishing, not sled cooling methods, hyfax, and scratches! I subscribe to another forum for that!
Yea in reference to your comment about sleds and ordering - it certainly hasn't helped Polaris (models I'm most familiar with around here) that they can't fill orders for sleds that have been ordered here by and for customers more than a year ago still in some cases.
Talked recently to a salesman who I have dealt with for quite a while, and he said they are all but giving up on the snowmobile market here now considering how tiring it is getting, trying to have to explain and make excuses to sled customers why they can't even get units in to the dealership ordered more than a season ago, and at this point have all but given up on orders for this year especially for the most expensive and HiPo versions, since they and he know it will just end up in frustration for many if not most customers since many want the newest and fastest models and by the time they actually do show up - they are already obsolete performance and feature-wise and the customers don't want to get stuck with a model that is already superseded by supposedly new, improved, and faster versions that they read about!
It's the reality of the business right now - but hard way to try and make a living especially with the way Polaris has approached it with sudden and strict pricing changes and deliveries which has turned off many long time valued customers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts