Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
I believe I did mention 'specialty' sleds didn't I?
Does that look like one you would need or would want to buy for ice fishing?
I have a friend who set an Ontario record for distance on a local lake near here - in July (it's a 'specialty version too as you might guess :) ) he sits on a piece of styrofoam and a 30' length of rope so if it quits on him he can locate it and get it pulled up! It too has a paddle track and a lot of mods!
Many of those types as you show have a seat (if at all) barely large enough for the rider since they need to stand up most of the time to steer them.
Many of them have paddle tracks so deep and long that are often unusable on normal snow conditions or regular trails.
Try going out on lakes with little snow without scratchers and see how well the hyfax holds out with no lubrication.

These as posted don't look like 'specialty' machines - - just regular ATVs with tracks - carriers, racks, seats, and equipped to go anywhere including fishing as I mentioned - or even up a muddy logging roads or creek beds with 2 foot deep muddy water - or 3 foot deep snow - as the case may be!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYSNU5e2I6c

Once again 'each to their own' - but I do know I'd like to use any machine I put my hard earned $$'s down on, for 12 months of the year and not have to park it for most of any given year - or have to trailer it all of the time to find snow deep enough to make it usable or practical - but I guess that's just me maybe!

But I digress - this IS after all an ATV Forum and in reference to a discussion about ice fishing wasn't it??
Sorry, I didn't mean to step on your ego. I just liked the video.

D

·
Registered
887 Posts
The barrels are definitely for flotation. Everybody always follows me! I have never had to use them knock on wood. The trailer pulls through the deepest snow almost by hand the skis are wonderful.
For the life of me, I could not figure out what the barrels were for. I get it now that you explained it. Very few people ice fish in my parts. When I was a kid, we just drove the car out on the ice and drank beer. Spin a few dough nuts and go home.

D

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yup video IS cool - and I didn't think I had an ego - but whatever..
We are from very different parts of the country. Out here, those are the only sleds you can buy. I have not seen a sled with a track shorter than 151" in 20 years or more. I don't even know anyone who ice fishes and have never even thought about trying it.

D

·
Registered
887 Posts
We have vests kind of like that for riding sleds. When you get in an avalanch, you are to pull the rip cord and it puffs up and keeps you floating on top the the snow instead of ending up at the bottom of thousands of tons of snow.

D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts