Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Reactions: stephenmann79

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
15,182 Posts
Damn FPD218.
That's a nice setup, how many gallons of beer will those barrels hold? Seriously, I'm guessing its additional floatation for rotting / weak ice if you drop through. Have you had any problems towing the trailer in deep snow or slush on the ice? I'm just about done fabricating an ice anchor that I can attach my winch to if needed.
The barrels are definitely for flotation. Everybody always follows me! I have never had to use them knock on wood. The trailer pulls through the deepest snow almost by hand the skis are wonderful.

·
Premium Member
15,182 Posts
For the life of me, I could not figure out what the barrels were for. I get it now that you explained it. Very few people ice fish in my parts. When I was a kid, we just drove the car out on the ice and drank beer. Spin a few dough nuts and go home.

D
I am normally the first one out on the ice and the last one back to shore. There are times I may be 17 to 20 miles offshore on Lake Michigan.

·
Premium Member
15,182 Posts
Two 40 gallon barrels. 40 gal x 8 lb water weight = 320 minus the drum weight of 12 lb ea = 640 - 24 = 614 lbs of additional floatation.

·
Premium Member
15,182 Posts
Look very closely at the front lid. That is a nebulous life raft also attached to the ATV around the steering column. If you're unfamiliar with nebulous check out this video.

·
Premium Member
15,182 Posts
Will that keep you bike from going to the bottom?

D
When I installed the barrels I backed it down the boat ramp on a Lake Michigan access point when the water was still in a liquid form and the ATV with the aid of the tires floats upright and the water line is just above the footwells. What the barrels really do is keep the ATV from flipping upside down which is what normally happens because the tires want to float. You just have to have a mindset that if you do break through the ice not to jump off stay on the ATV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts