Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all..
I went to put fuel and a fuel stabilizer in my tank and when I looked in, it appeared to be ice in the bottom of the tank..
As I recall the tank is black but looked white and seemed like ice was present..
Any help on how to proceed?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
if ice is in there ..water got in some how....hope your fuel shut off was on off....or you may have water thru whole system even carb possibly....look good with a flash light to make sure it is ice...was gas in there also..you could of had fuel seperation...if ice you have to thaw it...take tank line off shut off so when thawing water does not run in system...take line off carb also incase there is water in lines also....after thaw if iced up...run some 91% isopropal achohol thru it..get at wal mart....run thru lines also...

look at fuel filter an see if frozen...tell tale sign if you had shut off on run ..thats if water got that far in...

But first make sure its iced first by looking with a light and poke at it with something long to hit it...

Hope nothing cracked any where....

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'd warm it up in the garage and then siphon it out.... then when you put in new gas add a dose of heat, to help remove any moisture in the system.

Or if no garage.... you could attempt to warm the tank with a hair drier, but use caution!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replies, You folks are awesome..
Took your advice went out and poked at it, Seems like its just the plastic of the tank..
I don't recall it being white, its been awhile since I used it or even added gas..
Do any of you's have 2013 500 HO? is your inside of the tank white?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
glad you got it sorted.... fill with fresh gas..add some sea foam to it for some cleaning action since its been dry....and have fun with it...also add Marine stabil...better than the regular one....

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I've never seen a black plastic fuel tank. It should be a white/clear plastic.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Just to re-confirm, then inside of the tanks can appear white like you're saying. I know it looks that way on my 500 at least.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
The fuel tank is the same color as the coolant reservoir. At least on mine it is. Maybe newer models are different. ? In the pic you can see the lower part of the gas tank in the upper left hand corner of the pic. It's the same as the coolant bottle. Every Polaris quad I have seen is the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Thanks for replies, You folks are awesome..
Took your advice went out and poked at it, Seems like its just the plastic of the tank..
I don't recall it being white, its been awhile since I used it or even added gas..
Do any of you's have 2013 500 HO? is your inside of the tank white?
The inside of my tank is Black 2013 sportsman 500 ho

·
Registered
344 Posts
my tank is black

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
my tank is black also..funny thing is..clinebo has same machine...year and color..his is white...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts