Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have never had this happen to me i finally got my sportsman 500 efi all buttoned up after replacing stator/pick up coil, white primary spring, set valves, fixed wiring to head lights and a few more things i cant remember im sure. the bike was finally running fine for the first time in a long time and twice out of no where the idle went up to about 1800 and stayed there for a while before returning to normal it did this twice in a 15 minute period, i would feather the throttle, the first time i just shut it off and turned it back on nothing seemed to fix it it just did it on its own.

im totally stumped and have no idea what would cause this any help appreciated thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
Im not sure about the efi models but entering the dash diagnostics does it give any throttle position or temp specs?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no not either of those

·
Registered
192 Posts
Iv worked one so far*when the throttle cable tension was to loose causing the contacts in the ETC switch to make contact. This is a safety mechanism that prevents the engine to run if the cable is stuck with the throttle in open position. But this also happens if the cable tension is to loose

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes i know about the etc but that doesnt have anything to do with my problem lol the quad never shut off the idle just went up to around 1800 for a minutes or two

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well this machine would idle down real low while feather the throttle then computer would compasate and surge idle close to 2000rpm

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh so this could all just be from be feathering the throttle...or are you talking about that 2 second burst itll let out sometimes when its about to die

·
Registered
192 Posts
The high idle would last for around 10 seconds check engine light would flash then be good for and hour. I did thoroughly clean the throttle body and adjust the cable

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE it idles up and stays there i waited a good 5 mins at idle(1600) then just gave up my clutch doesnlt kick in till 1800 i belive so everything works fine i continued on and 15 mins later idled down to check it and everything was back to normal, a few hours later i was plowing and everything just died all power blank. im hoping its just either the red wire to fuse box or a red/white off it(fingers crossed its not my ecm)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts