Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 sportsman 500 with a carb. it is very hard to start without giving it gas. runs fine over idle but dies when you get off the gas.i think it may ne something with the carb. I was cold this morning so I pulled the choke to start and slowly close it as it warmed up like usual but another concern I have is the choke lever only comes out less than a half an inch max. it almost seems like the choke is stuck... can anyone verify on the 4 wheeler how far there choke lever comes out and if any ideas please let me know

·
Registered
47 Posts
On my 2013 sportsman 500 the choke comes out a lil over 1.5 ". It's only got 5 km on it and I had to readjust the idle screw this week to allow it to start properly also. We've started getting some cold temperatures lately and the idle was set too low from the dealership. Also my choke lever wasn't properly adjusted from the dealerShip. When I used to pull it out to full choke it would simply go back in. Just had to adjust the nut on the choke assembly and then it worked good. During first start up my idle is around 1050 and once warmed up its at 1200 - 1250. Once I start it full choke I gradually reduce the choke until it idles properly without it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Accordinng to the repair manual the idle should be 1200 RPM +/- 200 RPM
Also I've attached an image from the manual for choke cable adjustments.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Troubleshooting guide from the service manual

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2013 sportsman 500 with a carb. it is very hard to start without giving it gas. runs fine over idle but dies when you get off the gas.i think it may ne something with the carb. I was cold this morning so I pulled the choke to start and slowly close it as it warmed up like usual but another concern I have is the choke lever only comes out less than a half an inch max. it almost seems like the choke is stuck... can anyone verify on the 4 wheeler how far there choke lever comes out and if any ideas please let me know
Once it warms up, does it idle? If the answer is NO, then the choke isn't the problem... but it is "A" problem.

On my phoenix, I've had to clean the idle jet several times now over the last 2 years... darn orifice is extremely small... If your quad sits for a long time, this is an eventual necessity.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts