Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a strange problem. my atv wont idle unless i have my battery charger on it. The battery is reading 12.9 volts and with the machine running it is reading 14.9 volts. I can keep it running by holding the throttle but as soon as i let go it dies. When i leave the charger on it , it idles like it should but as soon as i pull the clamps off it dies. Lights all work properly and when driving it acts normal. I thought this atv should run without a battery because it has both a recoil and electric start. Any ideas ??

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Check your battery connections....Probably have a loose or bad connection. Battery charger is not the solution it is either supplying the electrons the engine needs or moving the battery connections enough to get a connection. I would also check the ETC in the throttle housing. Make sure the contacts are not touching

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Glad to help, hope its that simple!

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
The 97 Trailboss does not need a battery to run, so having a charger connected should make no difference as to how it runs

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay found the problem. It was the switch in the throttle assembly. Strange how the battery charger made it idle fine.The problem is i cant figure out how to adjust it. There is freeplay but if i tighten it it will pull that tab tighter to the switch. Mine is 1992 model and is different from any i can find on you tube. i have included three photos. first one is fully closed second one i have pushed the assembly where the cable is attached and the third i pressed the throttle lever which finally moves the tab away the from the switch any help would be appreciated IMG_20200218_2013416.jpg . IMG_20200218_2015115.jpg IMG_20200218_2015335.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So i took the whole assembly apart cleaned out all the crude, adjusted the spring so there was a little less pressure on it and gave it a full 1/8 of freeplay. I think my problem is there is a lot of slop in the plastic bushing. if i put a little bit of pressure down on the throttle it doesnt hit the switch as often. right now it works but if i just tap the throttle back or release it quickly it asks like a kill switch. For a 28 year old atv i am glad it runs and still looks good. Thanks for your help IMG_20200219_2155422.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts