Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find the sweet spot idle on my new 15-570.Took the rubber boot off the accelerator cable and if I turn the cable too far out the engine races at idle.If i turn it in, the motor wants to stop on sharp turns or after full throttle.I am now truing to set my idle with it in gear and as I turn the cable, the bike will start to move forward,so I back it down then it runs real low and sounds like it is chocking out.How do you set yours.

·
Super Moderator
7,037 Posts
If it is new, take it in and have it checked out. There is no idle adjustment on the fuel injection. If it won't idle, there is a problem with it that they need to repair under warranty. Trying to adjust it with the cable tension can be a dangerous thing when you tighten it up.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
No adjustment idle like Bob said. If it has a bad idle they might need to hook the computer up to it and give it a reflash.

Ronnie

·
Registered
79 Posts
No idle adjustment. The throttle adjustment is just for setting the free play in the lever. There should be about 1/8 free play before engine starts to rev. It should idle at 1200-1250 rpm when warmed up. If not take it to your dealer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I watched the dealer adjust the idle on my 2014. He loosened a nut on top of the throttle body (I am not a mechanic) and directly under that nut was another one that he adjusted to tone mine down a touch. It was idiling to high and actually creeping ahead while in gear. It took him literally 20 seconds and he turned the idle down.... it has been perfect ever since.
So, I think there is a way to adjust the idle without messing with the throttle.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
that's not adjusting the idle. that's adjusting the throttle cable. there is a difference. what the tech did was adjust the throttle lever back so that it wasn't adding gas to the engine when the throttle was not being used.

Assuming that the throttle cable is adjusted properly, you can then adjust the idle on carbureted machines. There is no mechanical way (adjustment screw/nut/etc) to adjust the idle on a Electronic fuel injection (EFI) machine. you can adjust it by reflashing the computer. but there is no other idle adjustment on the machine.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
^^^ that's sort of a blanket statement. Usually efi engines have idle adjustment on the throttle body. It allows air past the throttle plate.

Not entirely sure on the 570.

·
Registered
107 Posts
There's always a stop screw on any throttle body. Most of them are not meant to be played with though.
Your machine has a tachometer, it should be idling at 1200-1250 rpm hot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Haven't checked my 570, but I would think that they all have a throttle body adjustment screw, just like in the post before where that tech did it. I had a EFI brute force that idled low, I adjusted the throttle body adjustment and the problem was solved. Took me about 10 minutes. I also adjusted several of my friends bikes that had brutes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There's always a stop screw on any throttle body. Most of them are not meant to be played with though.
Your machine has a tachometer, it should be idling at 1200-1250 rpm hot.
Yep. That nut/screw is the throttle body blade stop and is set at the factory. Not sure why the dealer would have messed with it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Whatever, there is nothing wrong with adjusting that screw. As long as you make a small adjustment your not hurting a thing. It's a throttle body valve, they are not all set perfect from the factory. It your bike was made on Monday and the tech that put it together was hung over, then it probably isn't set to specs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
From the service manual:

"The correct position of the throttle body stop screw
is established and set at the factory.
DO NOT loosen the throttle body stop screw or alter
its position in any manner. The stop screw controls
the air flow calibration of the throttle body. If the
stop screw is repositioned or adjusted, the throttle
body assembly must be replaced."

But hey, it's your machine, do what you want. If it works for you, then no harm..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Manual says NOT to do a lot of things that most of us do anyways.
He adjusted mine and it has been fine, probably put on 1,000 miles since then.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
From the service manual:

"The correct position of the throttle body stop screw
is established and set at the factory.
DO NOT loosen the throttle body stop screw or alter
its position in any manner. The stop screw controls
the air flow calibration of the throttle body. If the
stop screw is repositioned or adjusted, the throttle
body assembly must be replaced."

But hey, it's your machine, do what you want. If it works for you, then no harm..

People like this crack me up.

Its a bloody screw! "quick run to the dealer, you loosened a screw!!! The world will end, and your atv WILL EXPLODE!!!!!!"

I'm in the wrong business! Think of all the money I could make selling throttle bodies. Sell a new one, then take the old ne as a core, turn the idle screw out a 1/4 turn and sell it as new again. LMAO you guys are hilarious.

I would recommend screwing it in all the way, counting how many turns out they have it. Then put it back to where they had it, and adjust from there. That way you can always set it back to where they had it originally.

FWIW, the idle screw is just a fine tuning method that directly allows air past the throttle plate. The IAC will control the majority of idle air, but sometimes depending on the machine or environment, you may need to fine tune it. OR like already stated, it could have been out half a turn from factory.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nobody said that your ATV will explode other than you in your dickheaded reply. My reply was more for a newb reading this thread who thinks they can just jump in and start cranking on things when their machine doesn't idle properly.

I'll still contend that almost all of the time you don't need to mess with the stop screw. Unless you're bandaiding some other issue. Can you tweak it? Sure, but not without some simple things to keep in mind when doing so.. Follow on TPS readjust, IAC reset, etc.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Adjusting your TPS is not a cure for improper idle speed.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Adjusting your TPS is not a cure for improper idle speed.
you must not have gotten the memo. We're putting cover letters on all our TPS reports. You know what, I'll get someone to send you that memo. Oh, and while I'm here, we're going to need you to go ahead and come in on Saturday. you know, why don't you make that Sunday too, mmkay? Yeah... That'd be greeeaaat.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If the throttle valve is closed off to much, there is no other way to fix it other than adjusting it open a lil more. If there is not enough air getting by, you can't get a engine to run without air. It's the same as if you press the throttle with your hand, it then opens the throttle valve a little, the TPS recognizes it, the airflow sensor sees more air, and this is how EFI works. Your not masking any problem.
Like I said I adjusted several brute forces back in 08, and they ran for several years with no problems.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
An idle adjustment screw and a throttle plate stop screw are 2 different things.

A throttle plate stop screw is used to ensure the plate is completely sealed during idle. It should not be held open to adjust idle.

An idle screw bypasses enough air past the closed throttle plate to sustain idle. Usually the idle uses a pre set ignition/fuel map and ignores the maf, other than cold starts.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't even know if the 570 has a slide or a butterfly plate, but on a butterfly the screw is adjusted just enough to keep it from getting stuck in the bore when it closes. The rest of the idle air should be metered by the iac.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts