Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I own a 2004 Sportsman 600 Twin, and I am having some trouble with what appears to be a potential carburetor issue. My quad struggles to "warm up", particularly on a colder day....seems like no matter what I do (I actually allow the unit to "warm up" for a few minutes, and I even drive it slowly for a few minutes to assist the "warm up" process as well).

The quad has some "sputtering" issues that I want to address and correct.

What would be causing this issue? It idles fine, does not really "sputter" while idling, but once I hit the trigger to move, it can be very unpredictable with the "sputtering" issue.

Thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:cowboy:

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
WELCOME!!

The first thing I always suggest and ask is how old is the fuel and are you running a good fuel additive. Today most of us are plagued with garbage fuels. I recommend SEA FOAM and use it regularly.

Get your self a can or two, add 2-3 oz per gallon for a couple tank fulls then back it off to 1OZ per-gallon after the problem goes away as a preventative and fuel stabilizer.

Good luck,
' CW

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WELCOME!!

The first thing I always suggest and ask is how old is the fuel and are you running a good fuel additive. Today most of us are plagued with garbage fuels. I recommend SEA FOAM and use it regularly.

Get your self a can or two, add 2-3 oz per gallon for a couple tank fulls then back it off to 1OZ per-gallon after the problem goes away as a preventative and fuel stabilizer.

Good luck,
' CW
' CW - Thank you for your input. Currently, I do not utilize any fuel additives, but I will give this Sea Foam a shot and see if it clears it up. I also own a 2006 Can Am Outlander 650XT, which is fuel injected. Hence, no issues on that end.

I will give this a try and follow up. Thanks again!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Guys riding the twins.. I would suggest inspecting the carb intake. One carb-two cylinders. The carb boot going from the carb to the engine may be cracked and in some cases the "bridge" inside of it can crack as well. This will have you running rich or lean in one cylinder. I had the same problem with my 700 twin when i purchased it. Replaced it for under 60 bucks..Problem solved! Hope that helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts