Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I am new and don't know where to start. I basically rebuilt a 89 or 90 big boss 4x6 250 and got to ride it the first time today. I have a carb that I cannot get to idle slow. The machine runs good but I have to turn it off to change gears because the clutch is turning to much. The primary is definately disengaging all of the way too. The thumb screw doesn't do anything, engine warm or cold. Also after sitting for about 5 minutes it needs a shot of carb cleaner to get it started again. I am thinking it could be the clip on the needle, but when I rebuilt it I matched the notches up with the old one. The bike has sat for about ten years and I also had to change out exhausts to keep it from popping and blowing the J tube and muffler apart at the springs. It runs good wide open with no hesitations, smokes enough to let me know it is getting oil and sounds pretty cool. I am new to ATV's and not a mechanic but I can get by with what I have usually, any thoughts??

·
Registered
38 Posts
On that bike is there a throttle adjustment on the throttle cable on the handle bar?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you adjusted the idle screw on the carburetor? If that wasn't it...

I had the same problem with mine today after working on the carburetor. On the choke cable there is a fitting on the left side of the fuel tank(where mine was. Yours might be elsewhere) pull back the rubber around it and the part towards the carburetor spins. Turn it counterclockwise and adjust the small locking nut above it so it stays there. What this does is allow more slack in the choke cable. Mine had been messed with and had been pulled too tight.

Also a later problem, the choke cable had gotten pinched and held the choke on a little.

I'd check for a pinched choke or throttle cable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is two throttle cable adjustments. One at the throttle switch, and one at the carb. This is a spilt cable so a 3rd end goes to the oil pump. I haven't adjusted these yet but will probaly do so soon. I do know I also need to adjust the oil pump cable as well so I will let you now how it turns out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts