Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I sunk my ATV and was able to get it running again can I ride it home if I looked in the oil and it was milky / emulsified?
on stock machines does the water enter mainly from the intake?

Easy riding? ok.?

Dont even try.. pure friction?

Dont worry about it ? but change it when you get back home.

Let me know your thoughts.. also with the use of Synthetic oil is the chance of damage less? any studies on this or just peoples personal opinions.
thanks

Sound off I am sure more than one ATV has been sunk in this forum.

·
Registered
309 Posts
well i would go straight home and take it very easy...guess it depends on how much and how far! soon as you're home drain and run diesel through it... fill up and run for couple minute or so and drain, repeat until diesel fuel is clean looking coming out.. fill with oil replace oil filter and go do it again... if you have an old oil filter around use that to clean it out w/ the diesel.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't know that I would run straight diesel to clean it out. Straight diesel is WAAAAAYYYY too thin for lubing an engine. I know. The front pump seal on my truck puked and filled the crankcase full of diesel. Oil pressure went from 55-60psi to barely enough to keep the idiot light off.

A little bit in some regular motor oil might bo OK to clean things out but I'd stay away from straight stuff. Even for a minute or two.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So to clean out just regular non synthetic motor oil? or is there something in diesel that helps cut the water and clean it out. is a mix of diesel and non synthetic cheep oil good?

and Driving home.. everyone ok with the idea of taking it easy and riding home since full synthetic will help protect.

Is the concern with driving with water in the oil friction / wear of parts? or is it that the water will not let engine internal parts cool off enough?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Water does not lubricate the metal to metal parts,as long as there was not a lot of water in there a short slow ride home would be ok but change oil and filter several times when you get home.

·
Registered
309 Posts
diesel fuel is just fine...i have helped plenty of people do it that way...maybe not two minutes but thirty seconds is just fine...It is pretty much the cheapest and best way to get the water out of the crankcase... Diesel fuel has plenty of oil in it for the lubricating your not out working the piss out of it climbing hill or mudding all your doing is cleaning the engine out....it doesnt run long enough hurt anything... Leaving any trace of moisture inside to corrode is going to be much worse.. do what ya want i would do it in a heartbeat as soon as i got the atv home and parked.. i cringe every time i have done it but what are you to do you need something thinner to work away at the paste like oil/water mixture in the engine.. Best way is to stay out of water but what fun is that!!!! Just a suggestion anyway!!

·
Registered
497 Posts
I've heard of ATF being run to clean out a motor. A little thicker than diesel and less volatile I would think. ATF is also full of detergents to help clean transmissions. I wouldn't run it long and only at an idle. I would also drain and fill it a couple of times with a cheap oil to make sure all the ATF was out.

·
Registered
484 Posts
ive heard of ATF before too but never diesel not saying it wont work and it sounds like it would just never heard of it it would be a ton cheaper too so just as long as your positive it wont wreck anything id try it out, MHOLLERICH does sound like he knows what he's talking about.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'd recommend changing the front/rear gearcase as well as the transmission fluid. I swamped mine a couple of weeks ago and they ALL looked milky. Fluids are cheap...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes you can drive it home. Just take it easy and no high speed/high RPM runs. If you have someone who can pull you home you can do that. I've swamped mine several times. Only once would is not restart after draining.
Flush the tranny and diff's as well as the engine. Do the engine first. AFT works well and Diesel is fine too for the engine. Just idle the machine for a minute or less and then drain. Change the filter, refill with dino oil (cheaper then synt) run it for about 10 minutes or longer. You are trying to get the engine to operating temps so any moisture will burn off the interior of the engine. Drain, change the filter again and install your choice of synthetic oil.
Flush the tranny and diff's with ATF. Go for a 15 or 20 minute ride and change them to the correct lubes per your owners book.
Don't forget to greese any fittings on your machine too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts