Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's where I'm at right now. 2007 polaris sportsman 500 efi. When in park, it only starts when the brake is pulled in. After starting, it starts to stall, and sometimes just dies out altogether when in reverse. The speedo needle is all over the place, and the battery light is flashing. What on earth is going on????

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Sounds like your battery is toast. What's the Volts on it, have you had it tested?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not had it tested yet. I do have a toggle switch for the cooling fan hooked up too, but it does not run full time when riding. Maybe 10 minutes at a time every 30 or so

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
EFI needs a strong battery to run properly. Check your grounds as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is a recommended battery for this? Since it is efi and I have a toggle switch for the fan?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Just one that fits and holds a charge. I have an Odyssey but that is high end. Get a AGM one (glass matt)

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I woul also go with an AGM and add a battery tender if you don't use one already. You can get 6+ years out of them that way.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Check battery voltage a idle and when revved up, if voltage goes above 16-17 then you need a new voltage regulator. Common issue on 500 efis and causes all kinds of fun problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I finally gave in and took it to the shop. Apparently there's a whole world of problems that I didn't even know about. They say its about $3100 in repairs. Fml. But that makes me think that alot of the issues were from before I got it, seeing as how I've only had it for 3 months. Too bad the warranty expired. Should they have checked for those problems before even selling it to me??

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Who did you buy it from.... "they" = dealer or private party?? (We can't read your mind, or remember every posting) :D

If you bought it from a private party, used or sold as is.... buyer beware!

If bought at a dealer used, how many miles hours have you put on it in 3 months..... may want to try get them to cover either parts or labor or knock a % off the bill to "make it right"..... :dunno: Talking nice will get you the furthest. Only pull the "drag you thru the mud" card if you have to!!

Sounds like I'd fix as little as possible, to get it running "good enough" and part ways with it!

What all is "wrong" with it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry about that. I got it from the dealer here in Colorado Springs. I haven't gone in to talk to them personally yet, but on the phone when I was talking to them, I was told, and I quote, "this bike is just rusted to sh**". The starter had rusted so bad it seized up!!! I am working with them, and being nice too. Maybe it might be easier (cheaper) to just get a list of what needs fixed, and buy the parts and do it myself?

·
Registered
425 Posts
That would be your best bet. Did they sell it to you or another dealer?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts