Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on my brother in laws 2001 500 HO ATV. After taking it for a test ride it started backfiring and stalled out (it had been doing this to him occasionally up to this point). We got it going again and got it back to my garage. I put an inductive timing light on the spark plug wire and started cranking the engine. The light would indicate spark, the machine would start and then the light would cut out as the engine would backfire & stall. Then I tried to start again and it would just crank as the light stayed dead. It would spark just as I released the starter button and it would almost start. Again I tried this and the engine would start but again it would cutout.
I suspected the switch was bad because when it would start I would wiggle the starter switch and it would cutout.
We bought a new switch and put it on. The machine started right up and ran smooth. I went to back the machine up and it started to backfire and stall again. Now it cranks but doesn't start and once again I get spark as I let off of the switch???
Not sure where to go from here? I suspect the CDI unit, the Stator or the Ignition Coil. Is there a way to isolate the problem or do we start replacing parts if so which one(s) do we start with? This could get expensive in a hurry.
If you have any suggestions please let me know
Thank you!
Bruce

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!
Damn what is this the third Bruce on the board??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ignition Update

Hey 1200 Bruce,
What are you on Bruce overload?
I spent the afternoon trying to pinpoint the ignition problem by going through the wiring harness looking for shorts, corroded connections, etc. and found nothing wrong.
After talking with brother in law he said that the speedometer hasn't worked in a while. I unplugged the speedo and now the machine runs fine. As soon as I plug it in the machine starts to misfire and cuts out.
I am not sure if the speedo head is bad or it is further down the line. He also had a problem with the cooling fan not kicking on so he hotwired it from the solenoid so that it runs constantly when the key switch is on???
I have a service manual for model years 1996 through 2000 but the wiring diagram for the 2001 is a little different I think.
Any suggestions?
:wtf:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts