Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not much of a mechanic here so bear with me. My AWD stopped working along with my lights and speedometer all of the sudden and it seemed there was a drain on my batterie in a short time so i could not start my wheeler with the key. Started with the pull rope just fine.

So i got me a good battery for 100 bucks and put it in and everything worked great. One thing i noticed was that the fan started right when i turned the key and stayed on the whole time i was running the wheeler. [is that normal?]. Let it sit a couple of days and the wheeler turned over but not enough to start. The people i bought the battery from said it was fully charged. I charged it anyway and everything worked fine.

Ran it for a couple of days up in the woods and then all of the sudden when i tried to start it, i turned the key and nothing. Not even a crank. Started right up with one pull from the rope.

I got home and charged the battery up and it started right up again with the key. Can someone tell me whats wrong. Thanks. Reinhard

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sounds like the battery is not charging while riding. You charge it, then ride it until its dead, then you have problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, i should have added that the battery seems to loose power just sitting for three days after charging also. Reinhard

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Sounds like you may have a couple issues. One is that it's not charging while running, the other it's there is a drain on the battery even when turned off. If you are handy with a multi meter you can test it all out easily. First check to see what voltage its at the battery when fully charged and off. Then start out and see what voltage is. Should be over 12.5 with a new battery and 13.5-14.5 running. If it's low running then it's not charging. At that point it's either the stator out voltage regulator. The voltage regulator could also be causing the drain on the system as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts